Trip Report - New Years Coz (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the report. It does seem a bit more quiet here lately.

I hear you on the flying. Too bad Frontier is tanking. The direct flights out of Denver were super easy but I expect Frontier to go out of business (abruptly I suspect). Now we use AA of of Dallas but the planes are usually more full. We found Customs in Dallas easier than Customs in Houston.

I have not seen a dragonfly fish and was hoping for a photo. My quick searches on the internet and ID book does not reveal much except stock photos and a fishfinder. Does it have another name? I will have to try to have a look for one when I get back to Cozumel.

I think he wrote "Dragonfly" on his slate, but it could have been a blenny or something else. We laid quietly on the sand and after at least 4 minutes, he poked his little head out of a rock about 1/8". After another 30 seconds, he came out about 3/4" and flapped his "wings", looked around, then popped back in his little rock. Cute little bugger.

Where would I look for it? I don't expect an exact location as that may be detrimental to it. But is this a wall, mid reef, sand flat, etc sort of thing? or maybe a PM?

Could be a sailfin blenny based on a quick google search.

Dario found it in a small softball-sized rock in the sand near some other rubble and coral, but generally out on it's own. He said he saw it from a distance, but all of us finned over there, and it went into hiding for a while until we were still. I'd see if you can hunt down Dario and get some secrets from him!

Edit: I'm betting it's this sailfin blenny:

Some other common names include "dragon"

Common names of this species in the English language only consist of sailfin blenny. Other common names include blénido bandera negra (Spanish), sapito dragon (Spanish), and tubícola dragón (Spanish).

Last edited:
Thanks

Aggggg not the vanilla!!!!!! We are leaving next Sat for 2 weeks thank you for posting it makes the time go faster....

Back
Top Bottom