February 2017 Roll Call!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be in Coz Feb.20-27 th.
I'm solo, staying downtown, diving with Deep Blue.
I'm signed up for 4 dives a day, have asked them to "farm me out" if they don't have the
3 minimum.
My question is, do shops work together?
I thought during carnival it would be busier and 4 wouldn't be a problem, but I'm getting
concerned.

I'll be in Coz Feb.20-27 th.
I'm solo, staying downtown, diving with Deep Blue.
I'm signed up for 4 dives a day, have asked them to "farm me out" if they don't have the
3 minimum.
My question is, do shops work together?
I thought during carnival it would be busier and 4 wouldn't be a problem, but I'm getting
concerned.

Some work together and will often do referrals if they are full but it can sometimes be hard to schedule 4 dives a day depending on boat schedules, availability and which pier they leave from (e.g. downtown versus caleta). It also largely depends what time Deep Blue gets back. There are no shortage of dive operators downtown so it's certainly possible you can jump on another dive operator's night dive or double tank afternoon.

Typical dive profiles for Cozumel are two-tank AM morning dive with a lot of operators doing a single tank PM afternoon dive. More of a quality versus quantity place compared to other places in Caribbean.

Without trying to cheerlead too much, Aldora, BlueXTSea, Tres Pelicanos, Aqua Safari can all pickup downtown as opposed to going to Caleta. I know I'm missing a bunch more.

In short, 3 dives a day definitely shouldn't be a problem. 4 *might* be an issue depending on what time you get back but with a little wrangling you should be able to make it happen.

One more question: how common is it to see a Splendid Toadfish? I am keeping my fingers crossed we find some.

Splendid Toadfish are quite common. I often see several on one dive. Your guide will almost certainly point some out for you. If you let your guide know that you want to see them, your chances will be about 100%. You will normally find them peering out of holes in the sand under the coral or a sponge, so you look at the borderline between coral or sponges and sand. Here's an example.
P1011075.JPG

Cheddarchick & Cheddarguy
Feb 11 - Feb 25
El Cid La Ceiba
Babieca Dive Center

Splendid Toadfish are quite common. I often see several on one dive. Your guide will almost certainly point some out for you. If you let your guide know that you want to see them, your chances will be about 100%. You will normally find them peering out of holes in the sand under the coral or a sponge, so you look at the borderline between coral or sponges and sand. Here's an example.
View attachment 395303
I think these have to be some of the coolest looking critters. I'll be on the look out!

even cooler on a night dive and out of their hole.

I videoed that one and found this next one on utube

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom