Cozumel Airport forbidden items

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about a couple of old flashlights that take AA batteries?

My problem is how to handle spare, loose Li-on camera batteries. The Cozumel check-in agent was very specific (and is what prompted my initial post for this thread): AA batteries (in battery case) go into check on luggage; four loose camera batteries go in the carry-ons.
Understood. So we need to find a bunch of cheap gizmos that take camera batteries. This sounds like a much tougher ask.

Hollow out the hand held remote control of a device no longer in use. Good size for AA and AAA.

Depends on what they want when rummaging through your checked luggage. They stole my watch last time I left Cozumel.

Understood. So we need to find a bunch of cheap gizmos that take camera batteries. This sounds like a much tougher ask.

The cheapest action cam I could find on eBay was about $20 so that's not a good option. The one I'm planning on using as a spare battery carrier was essentially a "free sample" so that works for me. I bought a cheap USB portable charger that uses four AA batteries but so far I have not successfully charged my camera battery with it between dives it may become a spare AA transport device. Perhaps it's time for dive boats to have USB charging stations like they do at airports.

So not having any checked bags I am out of luck as far as keeping any batteries not in a device?

If I have this all straight in my brain then yes, if you are traveling to Mexico (especially Cozumel) then you might run into trouble when exiting. The spare battery must be in your carry-on when you board in the USA and it must be in your checked bag when you board in Mexico. So, if you are like me and don't have checked bags then they might confiscate your spare batteries.

I'm guessing that it might be more of a problem on Cozumel because they probably see a lot more lithium ion batteries due to the large number of divers and are more aware of them. If you've been to the Cozumel airport then you've probably seen the huge bin of confiscated items.

I just want to thank y'all for this thread. It saved me surprises and grief on my recent trip to Coz.

Sorry to hear that this was your experience.

For future reference and for other travelers, there are several display cases throughout the airport lobby area with "prohibited items". There are also airport security agents at each check-in que (regardless of airline) prior to entering the line with a laminated list (with pictures) they show you or ask you to read before proceeding to check-in. Unfortunately, I see most people nod and walk by without reading it.

I concur with jchance on the batteries, if they are in a protected case, they are fine. It is loose batteries that raise issues.

Better luck with future travels.

I can attest to this not being true.
For the second time returning from Cozumel they decided to take random stuff. First time was aset of Allen Keys on the basis that tools are not allowed, regardless of the fact that the cases with forbiden items doesn't say anything of the sort. Last night out of the whole carryon that had flashlights, camera and cases, chargers, they decided that the 2 small pieces of lead, not bigger than 5x5 cms we use on the camera case as weights, were not allowed because they are heavy objects. Seriously? but the two heavy metal flashlights were not heavy objects and last time those small weights were not a problem.
So my conclusion is that they have no damn clue what they're doing, its all how the wind blows. Unfortunately it is alienating people, and personally, just becuse of this two bad experiences Cozumel is off my future travel list. There is a very good reason for the stuff I keep in my carryon, if some a** decides to go on a power trip and make his own rules and take my stuff for no reason I will not return.
So to future travellers to Cozumel, anything is fair game and can be confiscated out of your carryon.

Back
Top Bottom