If you dive alone, you die alone ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[snip] Once you board one of these boats, you become their child and their responsibility (they must be good mommies, or democrats).

markm

Not sure what your political statement has to do with solo diving. Besides, it appears that most of the isssues reported here are on Florida dive boats and Florida voted Republican ;-)

Allow me a personal observation. True solo divers get the card when situations force them to

Yeah, kind of like why I got a c-card.

I've been diving continuously since '62, and usually a DM looks at me, shakes his head and goes on to screw with some other poor bastard. I'm sure the scuba police will catch up with me at some point in time, but so far they have a lot of other contestants to deal with first.

Bob

Not sure what your political statement has to do with solo diving. Besides, it appears that most of the isssues reported here are on Florida dive boats and Florida voted Republican ;-)

Hi Stefin,

As for Florida, almost 50% of the state voted for the mommy party.

I get your point about my political statements on SCUBA Board; this is not a political forum.

However, the thread has broached some legal issues and political ideology is a party to all legal issues.

Tort reform will be good for the diving community.

All decedents of SCUBA accidents, whether solo or part of a buddy team, die alone.

markm
Proud refugee of Commiefornia.

I'm not solo certified but after going through these posts I'm not sure it's worth it. It seems like even with certification it's still not as accepted that it should be.

Hi Midwesterndvr,

The solo cert is definitely worth the investment in time, money, and cogitation.

Many places don't care if you dive solo or not; c-card or not.

It is not a bromide that solves all of your buddy/no buddy issues. It does not allow you to dive solo everywhere. However, where it does work, it is a sweet deal.

I also have lots of fun stating that I am a solo diver on boats when the DM queries the divers as to their cert level, experience, buddy, and time interval between last diving experience.

On one boat, a diver thought it her responsibility to report me to the solo police. That was fun.

It is fun to watch the solo police take a deep breath and then explain that solo diving is not good or that solo diving is not allowed off their boat. I then get to give a quick rebuttal and advertise to all aboard that solo diving is certified, acceptable, and can be safer than buddy diving. I love giving my elevator speech on this topic. And yes, I do like flashing this card when asked for a cert card check (yeah, I am a solo c-card flasher).

The gasping, guffaws, and gnashing of teeth can be priceless! Better than American Express!

Everybody dies alone. I have witnessed death. They died alone even though I was there.

markm

In other words, you're the guy that gives a bad rep to solo divers, thanks :thumb:

In other words, you're the guy that gives a bad rep to solo divers, thanks :thumb:

Hi Patoux01,

How am I giving a bad rep to solo divers? School me, and if your argument is persuasive, I will change my ways.

Criticism is always accepted, either positive or negative.

I noticed that you don't have the prerequisite number of dives to qualify for a solo c-card. I follow all rules set out by the SCUBA industry for diving solo. I have met the industry standard for Solo diving (I was trained and have a c-card). Creating awareness for the solo c-card program is a good thing, not a bad thing...I thought.

markm

Last edited:
Markmud..... question, how many dives do you require to hold a Solo Cert? I personally have certified in the Self-Reliant Diver PADI course. I have only 61 dives. I mainly took the course to expand my knowledge and experience in the "What-if" real world. You know.... just in case this happened to me. I have dived solo and I have to also say that it was the most relaxing dive I've had.

Markmud..... question, how many dives do you require to hold a Solo Cert? I personally have certified in the Self-Reliant Diver PADI course. I have only 61 dives. I mainly took the course to expand my knowledge and experience in the "What-if" real world. You know.... just in case this happened to me. I have dived solo and I have to also say that it was the most relaxing dive I've had.

Hi Dnaber,

When I took the course, both PADI and SDI required a minimum of 100 logged dives. I don't know if the standard has been relaxed or not.

Either way, congratulations on receiving your Self-Reliant cert.

I hope that PADI and SDI have not relaxed the 100 logged dive minimum for their solo certs, as I think that is where it should be.

I will add that there should be a caveat added to that requirement: That the dives have to be in some variation of ocean type conditions. A diver who gains 85 of 100 dives in Gilboa Quarry should not qualify. However, a diver who gains 85 of 100 dives at Monterey/Carmel should qualify even though they mostly dive one location.

Here is what I found with a brief search of the internet:
Prerequisites
  • Must be PADI Advanced Open Water Certified, or equivalent
  • Minimum of 100 logged dives
  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Successfully complete a dive skills assessment by our PADI Self-Reliant Diver Specialty Instructor
Complete the following forms:

Just my thoughts.

markm

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom