Oceanic Geo 2 dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When mine went on the fritz, my local dive shop too care of shipping it back to Oceanic and back at no charge to me. I just paid for labor on the repair.

I had to click the link for the Oceanic dealer locator, then there was a link for International, which is where I found the distributor for Canuckistan. ;-)

Let us know how it goes!

well I heard back from all 3 places, all it took was an polite but angry email to get a response! AUP service and cross country parts basically said return it to shop you bought it from for a return. no ballpark time or anything
UBC got back to me and said bring it back and we will send it in and they are super slow so shes gonna see if she can lend me one of the rental computers they have.

no worries, wasn't criticizing, many people don't know where they are actually located

Transmitters are more accurate than SPG's, and reliability is pretty good these days
Perdix has a smaller form factor, so I would go there.
Perdix and Petrel 2 are identical as far as the computers are concerned.They are all capable of doing all of the same things aside from the Perdix AI which has AI, and the original Petrel which can't sync to an iPhone via bluetooth and doesn't have a digital compass. They all have recreational nitrox mode though. Try a Petrel and a Perdix on your wrist and see which one is more comfortable and go that route unless you want the AI in which case the Perdix AI is imho the only AI computer worth purchasing

Good luck on the Geo2, they're great little computers and hopefully you get it fixed.

thanks for the info, Im sure I just got a lemon since they have a good market share in dive computers i cant imagine they are not at least decent quality.
I was out of reception today working so I couldn't call the LDS about the shearwater and prices but when i was in there Sunday they had some dive computers on display I didnt really pay attention to them but they looked like the shear water ones. Im still leaning toward a new computer - I really like the idea of tank pressure in the same spot as your other information but its unneccessary in all reality for me. I'm just at a crossroads now in the sense that I could probably swing the cost of it and if I don't and decide just to get one without it I'm going to be bummed out and probably by next year buy it anyways.
excuse my ignorance but whats the benefit to a dive computer syncing to a phone just logging dives on an app? Im still using a pen n paper style log book ...............
I wont buy another Oceanic product until after I see how they handle warranty claims. if they send me a new one then sh*t happens but they made it right so all is well, but Ive been told tough luck before with stuff under warranty so I no longer use anything those companies make.

Another question not really related but when you see all these courses that required X # of logged dives do they actually check? I currently log all my dives mainly because 1 Im still experimenting with weights and what clothes Im wearing and we have so many spots here it could be a year before I go back so I mark where the ships are and stuff ect. so next time its quick to find but I cant imagine some of you guys with 1000+ dives have them all written down somewhere.

My initial dive computer was an Oceanic Pro Plus 3 that had an issue during my first dive trip with it. Upon return from my dive trip, I went back to the LDS I purchased it from, who got his distributor on the phone, who got his Oceanic contact on the phone. I described the problem and an RMA was immediately given and a replacement sent on its way. The replacement PP3 hasn't had an issue on over 190 dives.

If you still trust and like Oceanic computers, a replacement Geo or, as mentioned, an Atom 3.0/3.1 doesn't sound unreasonable.

For me, I trusted my new Oceanic Pro Plus 3.0 enough to use it. However, after doing some research and discussing the situation with more experienced divers whose opinions I trusted, I ended up buying a Geo 2.0 and an SPG as a backup system. I haven't had an issue with the Geo on at least 150 dives.

I know of at least one person who had issues with their Geo 2.0 during their first dive trip. Same LDS I purchased the PP3 (and my Geo for that matter). Their Geo was replaced through the LDS.

I have really liked both of my Oceanic computers except for 2 things:
-- have to push a button to turn on the light or shine my dive light on the display during night dives.
-- the ascent monitoring feature appears overly sensitive (both of my Oceanic computers are). I believe it reports higher than actual ascent rates.

So, if there are things you didn't like about your Geo (other than the issues you were having), now is a good time to consider other options.

I have recently placed my Geo 2.0 with a Shearwater Perdix partly to overcome the 2 things I don't like about the Oceanic's. However, my girlfriend is going through her open water certification and my Geo 2.0 lives on.

Cheers,

Jim

Its the only computer Ive ever owned or used. So I cant really comment on that, even the light issue wasn't a big deal to me until it died completely, Im sure its a good unit but my first experience with it and its faulty from the beginning and customer service is sub par IMO leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
How do you like the shear water perdix? I did some googling on them late last night as well and it seems everyone using them has nothing but great things to say.....

Wow, they didn't answer the phone during business hours and no callback? Thats odd! I also have had very good service when I have called. Also note that oceanics are very sensitive to the right type of batteries. Sony and Panasonic work best. At least they solved my problems with veo 180, 200 and 2.0.
not sure if thats sarcastic or not but no 2 messages and I haven't received a call today either. I Left my phone at the shop so it would still be in service since I was not going to be and all missed random calls were returned and nothing about diving.......

I have an extra Perdix AI that I'd sell for $800. It's never been in the water. Full factory warranty (2 year).

Geo 2 is a great computer with two great algorithms. I love mine. Also love my Perdix. I've read people say that you can get the Perdix to match up to DSAT pretty well so your Geo could still be a backup.

not sure if thats sarcastic or not but no 2 messages and I haven't received a call today either. I Left my phone at the shop so it would still be in service since I was not going to be and all missed random calls were returned and nothing about diving.......
No, no, no sarcasm. I truly have had very good results calling them. And do watch the type of battery you install. Those that can not handle the demand when the pdc is powered up can result in false lowbat readings

I have an extra Perdix AI that I'd sell for $800. It's never been in the water. Full factory warranty (2 year).

Geo 2 is a great computer with two great algorithms. I love mine. Also love my Perdix. I've read people say that you can get the Perdix to match up to DSAT pretty well so your Geo could still be a backup.
With transmitter?

With transmitter?
No. But there is a used one on this board right now for <$200 that would work with it. I could probably get a new one for you for $250.

That is one really nice thing about the Shearwaters. Unlike any other dive computer that I know of, the Shearwater warranty is transferable. You do not have to be the original owner for the computer to be covered under warranty. Buy a used Oceanic and you are SOL on any warranty support.

Hmmm interesting
I will call the LDS tomorrow and get pricing is like to give them first shot at the sale .
With the exchange rate buying out of the states is killer. I'll let you know tho thanks!

@KentB phone is really just for dive log sync, it's nifty. I have a Petrel 1 and don't have the compass or phone sync and don't really miss it, but if you travel with just an iPad or your phone, it may be nice if you want to look at your dive logs while on a trip.

Honestly, if your LDS is going to give you a refund, which they hopefully will, then I would pay up for the Shearwater now. The Geo 2 is an AWESOME computer, don't get me wrong, and it is one of the few that I recommend to people, but the Shearwater really is worth paying up for, if anything because of the screen...

So 1/2 way into my 2 hour drive in rush hour traffic to go to UBC the damn thing just turned on!! it was off when I left my house and by the time I hit the freeway exit I noticed it was on........I pulled down a side street and it works everything works light included. Oceanics website says if it gets a warranty claim and find nothing wrong they charge you so Ive opt to keep it to see if it works in dive mode, hopefully a buddy can go this weekend but worst case Ill go to the lake and drop it in with a rope so it goes into dive mode. I called the girl and totally looked like an idiot.
the reason this happened was I called the LDS the day before and asked about pricing on the perdix AI and one of the employees answered and said $1199 for computer $400 something for the transmitter. I asked if they could match shearwaters price on it (shearwater is 20 min away from the LDS) she says hold on ill get the owner and he comes back saying I can do better on the package than shearwaters price...............long story short its ment to be here today!!!

so final question on this geo 2............it seems to work now if it works in dive mode as well (ill take it a handful of times to make sure) do I sell it or keep it as a 2nd or backup?? as much as I like redundancy a couple hundred bucks would be nice as well towards the cost of the perdix....... shearwater is in richmond which is about an hour away so if anything happens to the perdix Im sure it will be resolved quickly.

thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom