Another Eagles Nest fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Costs are 100€ roughly and if that's covered by your health insurance depends on your plan with them. Some cover it, some don't.

But to be honest, I have no sympathy for anyone dying while diving from medical issues that could have been discovered beforehand if it has been omitted for financial reasons. We spend a sh*tload of money for trips, equipment, training and whatsoever and try to save a few bucks for a medical test that potentially could save our life? Makes no sense if you ask me.

But I doubt that money is the real reason. My guess is, most are afraid of the test results that might show they probably shouldn't dive anymore unless they become fitter, less obese, you name it...

Just my 2ct

I too feel little sympathy, but perhaps a bit of envy.

I do have to wonder about the value of such medical exam requirement for scuba. Any stats on what good they do? Would they not also be appropriate when it comes to other activities like driving, skiing, or even shoveling snow?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have to wonder about the value of such medical exam requirement for scuba. Any stats on what good they do? Would they not also be appropriate when it comes to other activities like driving, skying, or even shoveling snow?

Think of it this way - how many people - get regular checkups, eat right, exercise and still end up dead?

Answer - It does not matter - no one is getting out of here alive... So what are you going to do?

Me I am going to do the best I can not to rush my demise - but when I go - I am not going to have many regrets. I will continue doing what I enjoy...

The medical examination is only required in some privately operated sites like the flooded mines. People die in the lakes all the time and you don't need a medical check to dive those.

As said: Commercial sites that may ban you from diving their location do require this mostly. For any other site my first statement applies: There's no Scuba-Police and everyone can kill himself as he likes...

I guess my point is that " MOST " medical problems can be fixed or managed if you know about them.. Heart disease is one of the easier ones... I'll use the cave divers favorite saying... You don't know, What you don't know..

A small heart or medical problem walking to the dive site is something that is most likely easily managed... That same problem is a death sentence at depth...

Jim......

My last dive is to the engine room of the Doria.....

Reactions: Jax
Interesting they are treating as a crime scene... Is this standard procedure?
Yes, any unattended death or death in unusual circumstances is initially considered a crime scene until PD has a chance to gather evidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom