Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

for my next holiday trip in Bali I want to use my Sony RX 100 II in a D&D housing and an UWL-04 fisheye lense.
I want to use it for diving and snorkling. A mix of making snapshots and pictures while taking some time for making them. But I don't will dive just for making pictures; not yet at least.

I just started diving the last year and I would call myself a 'holiday diver'. Maybe I will do some dives this summer in german lakes as well. I've alot of experience using DLSR over water but I will not start to use them under water because they are too heavy and expensive for me.

Read alot the last weeks about strobes and I'm not shure which one I should buy.
My favorites are the INON S-2000 and the Sea&Sea YS-D1 or a YS-D2.
I like the small size of the S-2000 and the cheaper price because I don't want to spent too much money for a thing I'm using just a few times a year and I think it's easier to handle the smaller one when im diving and not making pictures. I don't want to use 2 strobes for the same reasons.

I've seen some really nice pictures with a RX 100 and a UWL-04 where the fotographer used a YS-D1 and the lightning was like I want to have it. I don't know if the difference is so big between the S-2000 and the YS-D1; maybe I can get good results with the S-2000 as well. Maybe you have some sample shots which would make my decision a bit easier.

Greetings
Philipp

You cannot cover a UWL-04 with a single strobe. I situations were there is a lot of ambient light and you are shallow you can use a single strobe to highlight the subject. But, most shots will show a hot spot in the center of proper exposure and everything else underexposed. That may work for you but I mostly do not like that at all. N

I'm currently shooting an RX100 with an Inon wet wide lens with dome, and currently a single S2000 strobe. It's very far from ideal for wideagle, but can work under some circumstances. I will probably add a second eventually. A few examples:

Raja Ampat - April 2016

I know that just one strobe is not the optimum.But isn't there always a "better" solution. At least if you talk about image quality.

Thank you mattia_v for the examples. Helped me with getting an idea of what is posible with a single strobe like the S-2000.

Would you think it's better with one e.g. YS-D2 or two S-2000?

Two s2000 for a lot of things would be my choice. Obviously more light is better, but the even spread would be my choice. Also two s2000 strobes weigh the same as a YS-D2, more or less

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom