Bauer OR Coltri!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For servicing 10-20 divers per day, I think you'd be well served by installing a cascade filling system and some bank cylinders. I agree that the Bauer is generally the better choice, if only for the availability of parts and service worldwide. There is nothing wrong with a Coltri except in the USA, where you have to ship it to California for warranty repair, and when it gets back there, it was something you did anyway and isn't covered under warranty. At least, it seems that way for the government agencies that have one and break them.

That capitono or a k14 bauer with a 3 or 4 bottle cascade system would be the minimum you should get. Not cheap but will last.

Im guessing this "Capitono" is the Italian version of a Capitano.

Maybe your thinking of "Al Capitono" ?

As for your K14 Bauer suggestion..............great idea............ 38 years ago. LOL
They discontinued it in 1979.

Correct my spelling, thanks. K 14s are available everywhere used. One of the most reliable compressors made. I own 2 k 14-85.

SNIP
We'd like to offer guests double tank dives to cater for more experienced divers and further away dive sites. Therefore, we need capacity to fill 4-12 tanks a day comfortably.

First Filter Consideration

Imagine a year from now the 12 month guarantee is over and it all stops running, the compressors down.
Frankly I would re think all your options now, as to my mind non of the proposed models are going to work out that well for you.

First take your Bauer PE300 it comes as standard with the P31 filter set.
each cartridge for it costs $60 for the genuine Bauer item and even say you replace after a year with a cheaper Filtertech or equivalent at $48

Your filling 12 tanks a day in the Seychelles and I’ve assumed for calculation 28C hottest and 26C coldest ambient air temperature. From the Bauer charts the PE300 with the P31 filter will need replacing every 9-11 hours if using a bank and every 10 to 13 hours if filling directly into the cylinders.

Ive calculated filling using 12 litre tanks at 220 bar charging pressure to compensate for cool down
and the tanks at 35C when filled in the filling room.

12 fills a day is 31,680 litres of compressed air taking about 100 minutes total per day in filling time
With the P31 filter your changing it every 5 days out in the Seychelles

At $60 a cartridge 12 fills every day and your $4270 each year wasted on throw away cartridges.

Do that for ten years and you’ve just spent the money that would have bought your first portable Hyperbaric chamber for you guests.

But with an alternative engineered option that $4270 a year could be reduced to $126 per year using a alternative design and reduced filter load with the subsequent fiter replacement cost reduced to $126 a year. For the same number size quantity and type of cylinders being filled. Iain

Last edited:
Correct my spelling, thanks. K 14s are available everywhere used. One of the most reliable compressors made. I own 2 k 14-85.

I thought it was pretty funny. Look this guy runs a 5 star location the last thing he needs is being up to his armpits each morning dicking about with some 30 year old farmyard junker Especially when Bauer only guarentee spares being available for 20 years and he is half a planet away from Ebay as his source of spare part support LOL

Ok you got the guard Im going to kill some fish in the morning. Good night. Oh those filter cartridges are simple to refill yourself for a couple bucks.

SNIP

Okay, the compressor is for a newly renovated private island in the Seychelles,
We have access to both single and 3 phase power..

Im still not sure you have the right compressor size.
Can I ask you more about the power available on this private Island
How is the power supplied Im concerned if its from a generator?
if so what type and size in KvA would be a great help.
Im just kind of unsure if your available power is up for the job of starting a 300L/min pump
let alone running it 3 hours every day if its a generator on a small island.

I've been here before, many times all too often the kicker is the power supply. Iain

Hi Iain,

The power supply on the island is currently run by 3 very large generators - full electricity 24-7. Both 3 phase and single available.
I also was considering the costs of filters etc... the dive store is fully air conditioned and so the compressor will be running at approx. 22 degrees.
The island is more a luxury escape than a dive centre and so its unlikely guests are going to want to come for a living holiday. Bookings are for a few days to 10 typically. Diving won't be every day for sure (especially as the sea can be quite rough and getting the boat off the beach isn't possible at times).

Considering the COLTRI MCH16 standard for capacity, availability to a technician, price (R 80,000)
Bauer seems just too expensive both initially and subsequent refills etc.. ?

First Filter Consideration

Imagine a year from now the 12 month guarantee is over and it all stops running, the compressors down.
Frankly I would re think all your options now, as to my mind non of the proposed models are going to work out that well for you.

First take your Bauer PE300 it comes as standard with the P31 filter set.
each cartridge for it costs $60 for the genuine Bauer item and even say you replace after a year with a cheaper Filtertech or equivalent at $48

Your filling 12 tanks a day in the Seychelles and I’ve assumed for calculation 28C hottest and 26C coldest ambient air temperature. From the Bauer charts the PE300 with the P31 filter will need replacing every 9-11 hours if using a bank and every 10 to 13 hours if filling directly into the cylinders.

Ive calculated filling using 12 litre tanks at 220 bar charging pressure to compensate for cool down
and the tanks at 35C when filled in the filling room.

12 fills a day is 31,680 litres of compressed air taking about 100 minutes total per day in filling time
With the P31 filter your changing it every 5 days out in the Seychelles

At $60 a cartridge 12 fills every day and your $4270 each year wasted on throw away cartridges.

Do that for ten years and you’ve just spent the money that would have bought your first portable Hyperbaric chamber for you guests.

But with an alternative engineered option that $4270 a year could be reduced to $126 per year using a alternative design and reduced filter load with the subsequent fiter replacement cost reduced to $126 a year. For the same number size quantity and type of cylinders being filled. Iain

hi, coul you be more specific on "using a alternative design"?
regards,
severus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom