How to improve when hard to find dive buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As stated post in the Florida sub section and on this post where in Florida.
Agree. Unless you're here with me now on the panhandle in winter, I can't really imagine it being hard to find a FL buddy via SB, but I don't know.

Last edited:
You are certified. You have a few dives. Go to the keys and get on a reef boat. Dives 20-30 ft. If you do not want to do an instabuddy than rent a DM. I took a number of classes early for the experience but also made a few keys trips. None were with a regular buddy that I knew. I now instabuddy a lot but did not do it for NC diving until I was more experienced. But you are in Florida and there is some easy diving there.

Simple rule: diving produces more diving opportunities. No one is going to bang down your door to go diving, but if you show enthusiasm, motivation, and get in the water somewhat regularly, it'll all come together.

I'd start with doing some guided dives at the BHB to build confidence. You were trained there; should be familiar territory and you probably have an idea who the shops are in the area that could provide this service. I bet that by time you get in half a dozen guided dives, you'll meet some people to go diving with. Work towards building a core group of 3-4 reliable dive buddies whom you enjoy diving with, and get out and start diving on a regular basis.

It's Florida... if you're having this much trouble, you don't want to dive badly enough. :wink:

This might sound "wrong", but the drift diving most boats out of West Palm do, is nice reefs in the 55-70 foot range, decent visibility, with the DM leading the dive, towing a surface buoy. Get to the boat early, explain your situation to the captain or DM, they'll find you a buddy.

I know what some may say: "oh no!!! the dreaded *insta-buddy*!!, but it has consistently worked out fine for me, they were pretty good at matching me up when I had only 14 dives, just as they were when I had 140. So I have always been open to it, though I'm sure there are those who had worse experiences. I'm just not one of them.

And drift dives are pretty much "group dives", just stay with your buddy, and both of you stay near the DM, as most of the divers will. And no worries if you burn air faster than the DM (which you will), since the boat is following the buoy, and hence is "always there" when you surface, even if that's, say, ten minutes before the DM and the veteran divers do. So I think it's easier in a way for novices than having to worry about distance from the boat, current, compass, when to "turn" the dive, which you'd have to do with an anchored boat.

And the current carries you along, so you are finning only enough to stay headed north (usual current is setting north), no need to "propel" yourself so you get a longer dive and see more. And the reefs are pretty, lots of fish too.

The only "non-novice" parts, are jumping in with the group quickly and descend quickly so you, them, and DM all stay together, and having to ascend and do your safety stop without an anchor line to grab. And climb onto a "live" boat. But these aren't too difficult, at least that was my take.

If I'm wrong here and this is too much too soon, please ignore*

*for a little while til you get more experience, then do it.

Specifically (city) where do you live? Someone on the board probably has local options to share.

If you're anywhere near West Palm/Riviera Beach - here's a good option to start - it's shallow, more interesting than you'd believe and they teach a lot of classes there since it's protected. Also a lot of divers go there regularly. I believe - but do not know for certain - that it's too shallow to teach Advanced there so might be the shallow spot you're looking for to practice at. Also @Scuba_Jenny finds the most interesting stuff there and posts photos here. She guides in that area as well.

Blue Heron Bridge Trolls III
Blue Heron Bridge Dive Club | Facebook

Also post in our Florida forum instead of here in Basic. Florida Diving

Some of these groups are more active than others so look for one in your area:
Florida Dive Clubs and Groups

Thank you for the awesome suggestions! Will be sure to check those links out! I live in Orlando but love going to BHB! So much to see there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom