Another Eagles Nest fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if SEALS are using trimix but they do have occasion to go deeper from time to time. We weren't using it in my area of EOD or fleet diving and salvage when I retired in 2010. The Navy Diving Manual doesn't have trimix decompression tables so if it is being used it's for something specialized.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks for the info and your service..
After a good bit of searching the only thing I could dig up re: SEALs and trimix was.... Here on SB by DCBC..

Over the years I've been asked about Commercial and Military Diving. I've received several PMs on the subject and thought that I'd post this for those who may be interested. One area that is often discussed is how the military might be an avenue for diver training.

A SEAL is involved in "direct action warfare." Duties include insertions and extractions by sea, air or land to accomplish covert, Special Warfare / Special Operations missions, capturing high-value enemy personnel and terrorists, collecting information and intelligence, carrying out small-unit, direct-action missions against military targets, performing underwater reconnaissance and the demolition of natural or man-made obstacles prior to amphibious landings. In short a SEAL is a war fighter.

Training focuses on physical conditioning, combat diving (utilizing open-circuit (compressed air) and closed-circuit (100% oxygen), land warfare and air operations.

Contrary to public opinion, a SEAL does not use mixed-gas, or are they involved in saturation diving scenarios. The SEAL is a stranger to the Deep Sea (there is no need to go deep to accomplish a beach insertion).

Untrimmed full post located here:
The difference between a SEAL and a Navy Diver.

Being a commercial mixed gas dive supervisor, and a public safety diver that has worked alongside military mine warfare divers using rebreathers. I can tell you it is truly a different world. The first is dive planning, followed by a safety analyses, which includes each person being assigned tasks and responsibilities. This includes a response plan to any emergency including pre planned communications and evacuation for medical emergencies. (LOTS OF SUPPORT)

All dives made consider availability of recompression chambers, and medical assistance, which for most dives over 100 feet are on site. But the biggest difference between technical diving and professional divers is team work. A saying that I feel is most relevant is the team dives not just the diver.

I can truly say that I am alive today based on a team diving concept that included medical response plans for deep dives, including communications, standby/safety divers, and on scene medical. (and yes it was an open water technical dive) To often we take our responsibilities as dive partners, team mates lightly. I will not argue that even with proper planning deaths will still happen.

But we must plan for problems in advance. This begins by perfecting our skills before moving on to the next challenge not just obtaining a certification card.

US Navy Diving - Contrasted to -- recreational diving as we are discussing = different universe....

Do SEALs even use trimix?? I thought their primary 'tool' was the LAR V oxygen RB... I know they train in twin 80's and likely the MK 15/16, which is trimix capable, but why would they need or use it? The Navy has other divers who specialize in the deep stuff..

Yes they do. SOCOM recently held an event here in FL a few months ago asking on diving to greater then 300ft with run times that could go to 10 hrs.

Every fatality or death where the victim is not under direct medical care is considered a crime scene until proven otherwise.

This is not true at all. Please dont make statements, especially on a topic like this, without knowing 100% what you are talking about. It is both misleading and unhelpful.

In my profession, I deal with people dying, and with people being dead, quite a bit, and under multiple and varied, often unique, circumstances. Some involve the police, most do not. Most are not crime scenes. Some deaths WHILE UNDER MEDICAL CARE ARE CONSIDERED WORTHY OF POLICE INVESTIGATION.

Assumptions are just misaligned facts waiting to be proven as falsehoods.

Just wanted to touch base about all the comments regarding how briefly he's been diving for and having no business diving trimix. Although I do not agree at all that you need to be diving for many years to move into technical diving, I do agree that to be a proficient trimix diver in 1.5 years would very hard to do unless you had essentially no job and did nothing but train (not vacation dive/teach OW divers) all day.

I did not get a chance to meet the deceased, but for comparison in terms of time limitations while diving with a highly demanding job, I'm an ER doc working a busy schedule and still dive 3 times a week. It is definitely possible to dive frequently even while holding a demanding job. To be fair, the only reason I'm able to do this though is because I do not have a wife or kids and live in a state where I have >20 lakes within 1 hour of me.

For full transparency, I've been diving for a little over a year and a half. My pathway is a little different than some as I got into diving specifically to wreck dive. It had always been something I've wanted to do and I'd been interested in, but in the last few years I finally acquired the means and time to actually pursue it. I didn't really care about vacation diving or seeing fish. My goal was to dive wrecks in the great lakes - deep, dark, and cold. Admittedly when I started however, I had no clue what kind of work and training that would actually take.

In my first year I did my OW, AOW, drysuit, nitrox, deep diver, night diver, and finally wreck diver courses spread out throughout the year. I dove (haha) head first into diving and right from the start was diving multiple times weekly, logging about 100 dives in my first year of diving. Around where I live are tons of lakes, some deep and some shallow, all very cold, dark, and silty. My weekly diving was not for sight seeing. I fell in love with diving itself and the challenge of skill mastery and dive execution in harsh conditions (for some reason executing a dive in 0 visibility floated my boat). Of the 100 dives my first year, only ~15 of those were vacation/high visibility warm water dives. Most of the time after work me and a dive buddy would just head to any local lake and get in off the boat launch, exploring, practicing boyouncy in <5 foot visibility, and practicing skills. I feel that I advanced quicker than most because I had a hard goal I wanted to reach and was literally training as much as I could to move towards it, kind of like someone intensely training for a sport. When I wasn't diving or at work, I was reading about diving or talking about diving. I got lucky and got plugged into some technical diving mentors early and began reading/obsessing over physiology, theory, and technique (being a science nerd), and dreaming when I'd finally take the step into doubles/deco diving.

Early on in my second year of diving, I completed AN/DP, which is the level I am still at as I didn't want to move on before I thought I was ready. I'm still diving in the michigan winter 3 times a week in lakes around here that aren't frozen over. Since it's winter and cold as balls (lack of a thermocline/no warm water to ascend into/deco in is tough to deal with), most of my dives are short deco dives just to keep my skills up and train. Luckily I have really good mentors to dive and train with. As much as I want to take advanced wreck for penetration and I want to take trimix this summer, realistically I don't see it happening because even with all the work I'm putting into this I don't think my skills will be there for me to personally feel safe to move into trimix. Before in my first year I felt like I was flying through things and there wasn't much to learn from specialty to specialty, but then I made the leap into doubles and then to decompression which was humbling and more work than all of the diving I had learned before it. I think by the end of summer since it's a good 6 months from now I'll probably be ready to start advanced wreck since we are talking another good 50+ training dives from now, but no way I'd be ready to do trimix.

This is all coming from someone with a full time demanding job and an unnatural and unhealthy obsession with wreck diving doing regular diving each week specifically for training. Could I have physically completed all the certifications the deceased completed in this amount of time? Yes. However as someone who has been working their ass off learning and training and is completely obsessed, there is no way someone could be PROFICIENT in that level of diving. I'm being a little narcissistic here and tooting my own horn but diving actually comes naturally to me and I can quickly pick up skills/technique. Being a science nerd for a living, the theory/physiology fascinates me a comes naturally to me as well. However what it took some time to frustratingly realize is that as I'm diving (haha again x2) deeper into the rabbit hole and my dives are becoming riskier, it's taking exponentially more experience to feel confident that I'd be able to handle anything and everything that could go wrong/present itself to me. Experience isn't something that can be rushed. Although you can rush and obtain every c card, sometimes It's hard to realize your limitations and weaknesses, step back, and slow down.

The training, gear, certification level, length of time diving, is all moot if it is a medical incidence.

One could argue to the roof about how any of that 'assistance' the possible (probable?) medical cause. Is there an ME that would put any of that down on a death certificate?

Which means, none of it (training, gear, certification level, length of time diving) was a contributing factor to the death.

Back
Top Bottom