Scubapro G250V - Sticking Inhalation Resistance Knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoumi

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a G250V that has about 15 dives on it, and after the last dive, the Inhalation resistantance knob is sticking. I always soak the regulator is fresh water after use for about an hour or two.

Basically, after it's all dry and put away, after about 3 days, the knob sticks at it's current position (which is all the way out, then backed off just a little).

It is possible to un-stick it by turning the knob, it doesn't require brute force. After it's broken the initial resistance, it is completely fine. It just re-sticks again after about 2-3 days.

Is this common on this 2nd stage? Sometimes when underwater I do adjust that knob, so maybe a small amount of salt crystals have formed which didn't get penetrated by soaking it after the dive.

Is there anything I can do to make sure it won't stick again and become permanently locked? This isn't the VIVA knob, it's the inhalation resistance knob that sticks.

(I have a second G250V on a long yellow hose which is my backup, this does not have the same problem, it's completely free, but then again I never adjust it underwater).

Thanks!

You can try using silicone lube on the adjuster threads; you'll have to take it out to lubricate it. Silicone tends to hold up to water better than PTFE grease (christolube). You can also work the knob back and forth during your fresh water soak, maybe soak it with the adjuster in a few turns then adjust it all the way out and soak some more. The o-ring on the adjuster is 'in bounds' from the threads so they are not protected from water intrusion.

I have lots of similar 2nd stages (balanced/adjustable-109) and sometimes they also stick a bit. I've gotten into the habit of working the knob a little during and after soaking. That seems to help the most.

Remove the knob, clean, inspect, and lube. I soak my regs for 6 to 12 hours after SW dive trips.

Work the knob while it's soaking. Git all that salt out of there!

But do what awap says too.

This is one of the reasons some people, me, do not like adjustable second stages. You get sand and salt in the threads. The threads get roughed up in those composite housings, which then allows more sand and salt to collect.

Yes, you must remove them frequently to clean them. Exercising the knob, turning in and out, while rinsing will help.

N

One thing to check is if your knob is bent. I have had this happen on occasion on G250 (original ones) and my G250V's (I have 6 of them) I really don't know where I get then bent but it will make the turning more difficult. That primary (short hose) of yours get banged around when it is not in your mouth I am assuming your back up get hooked somewhere so it does not drag thus does not get banged up either.

They get bent during servicing by a careless technician. Some use the knob for leverage when removing and installing the stop pin......another reason to DIY.

It wasn't a careless technician because I do my own regs. I suspect the owner (me) forgot to clip his long hose 2nd stage and it dropped in the asphalt parking lot when he stood up :eek:.

would it be possible to find a nut that fits those threads, place a nut in a vice, screw the knob into it and then use the vice grips to bend it back. I have some that are bent (a little)

Back
Top Bottom