Rx100 - III, IV, V?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the discussion has been interesting and informative, thanks.

this, however, is just funny:
I suspect the OP will be shooting in 30 feet or so, where natural light can give excellent results
- I wish! FWIW, I dive the Great Lakes, routinely in technical situations and in 25 years of certification, been in warm/salt water on three trips, each many years separated....

Thanks Bob, it pleases me that I gave you a chuckle! Sorry if I misunderstood your usage profile, I must have missed something somewhere in the thread.(?)

So if you dive dark cold water of the lakes and St. Lawrence in a dry suit that would most certainly affect the RX version that would be most useful, also, not all housings well suited for cold water gloves are available for some models - with big focus ring controls.

I am still using a M2 (II know you ref'd 3+) and it is not as fast as I would like in dark situations and manual focus is slow for me - with my housing - when needing gloves. Also my MK2 has less than stellar video w/ artifacts in dark light. So the new MK5 with its promise of focus speed and low light performance would seem to be worth the investment. And thanks to the excellent battery drain test, done by Brandon, the biggest red flag on this model may not be as detrimental as it first appears. I think though that real use - with longer shot 'set-ups' , this would drain the battery more than with rapid fire sets, as executed in the test.

And thanks to the excellent battery drain test, done by Brandon, the biggest red flag on this model may not be as detrimental as it first appears. I think though that real use - with longer shot 'set-ups' , this would drain the battery more than with rapid fire sets, as executed in the test.

For sure - I was barely using the LCD, focus or zoom during my test.

-B

Don't get me wrong, I think that the test done and the effort expended for it was fantastic and useful!

One place I suppose bright video lights might be useful is the multi-rapid exposure modes this camera has. That because there is no strobe capable of recycling at that rate.

Besides, strobes or lights, either, are about useless beyond 3 to 6 feet camera to subject distance.

N

Besides, strobes or lights, either, are about useless beyond 3 to 6 feet camera to subject distance.
Can you explain this further? If it is true, how are all those wonderful pictures taken by cave divers in places like the Bahamas, with formations much more than 3-6 feet away?

Can you explain this further? If it is true, how are all those wonderful pictures taken by cave divers in places like the Bahamas, with formations much more than 3-6 feet away?

Many times they are using optically triggered strobes positioned off camera to illuminate the formations or whatever. Sure, you can bump the ISO up, slow the shutter, open the aperture and pump the strobe up to full blast and with two strobes you can maybe get a shot out to 6 to 8 feet, maybe a little more but the results will not be the same as close up. You will get better color, less illuminated debris blossoms and a more clear shot if you are up close. Which is why people who are new to UW photography misunderstand the purpose and importance of WA lenses. They are used to get CLOSE and still get the subject in the view finder and stay within strobe range.

Doubling the distance quadruples the power needed. The light diverges, you do the math, the area of a circle is:

d^2 * 4/(d^2) = 4

So, good luck with lighting up a whale shark or shooting your nephew on the fooseball field from the middle stadium row with that little Instamatic (that would be an old 120 film camera with a flash cube, lol).

IMG_6844_zps6zbppp85.jpg

I bet looking at this photo, which I sort of like, you think the non-illuminated reef in the back ground is way back there and about 20 feet distant and the near whips about 10 feet. Nooooo, the whips are nearly touching my lens, about 6 inches, and the reef behind is at most five feet. I was shooting in Av, aperture to 5.6, twin Inon D2000 set at f.2.8 inn Auto with a 150 degree FIX fisheye lens.

The turtle is at about six inches to one foot, f5.6 on the lens, Av mode, Inon strobes in Auto at f.5.6:

IMG_6720_zpskjtvdsq3.jpg

How far you think this squirrel fish is from my lens, well, about one foot, camera in Program, strobes in sTTL:

IMG_6716_zpsnjn3fbmi.jpg

N

Last edited:
Nice photos Nemrod, while I am partial to all natural lighting your photos show the great dynamic range and depth of field available when using a strobe. How is it traveling on international flights with that big 'ol lens?

those wonderful pictures taken by cave divers

Also (I understand) that caves have very low particulate matter and the subject matter you mention is not moving (much) so I would expect the strobe reach is longer and the open lens time can also be longer. I am not sure what they might use as a tripod...

Nice photos Nemrod, while I am partial to all natural lighting your photos show the great dynamic range and depth of field available when using a strobe. How is it traveling on international flights with that big 'ol lens?

Also (I understand) that caves have very low particulate matter and the subject matter you mention is not moving (much) so I would expect the strobe reach is longer and the open lens time can also be longer. I am not sure what they might use as a tripod...

Big lens, huh? Like this:

DSCF0008.jpg

I would think the nearly as small Sony RX100-V could fit into a similar case, with strobes and lenses. Maybe. I have a slightly larger Pelican case that I am sure would swallow a RX100-V system complete with that lovely new Nauticam WWL lens and macro lens.

I am torn, buy the Sony now and hate on the battery life or wait for next year when hybrid autofocus moves down from the newest Oly to their lower and middle cameras and go M4:3.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom