Dive Bags: Pack Like A Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stahlsac

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
pack-bag.ashx

Dive Bags: Pack Like a Pro
You don’t know how many times I’ve witnessed another diver on the boat with gear scattered everywhere. It not only creates a problem for other divers, but builds upon any pre-dive stress they may have. Experienced divers know that an organized dive bag, whether it is a roller bag or mesh one, will get you in the water faster as well as rinsed and on your way to lunch faster. Also, there are special considerations when packing for travel. To have you packed like a pro, here are a few tips we’ve picked up from experienced divers.

How to pack your dive bag for the dive site:
Optimal organization
The bag you pack for use at the dive site is a bit different than how you pack for travel. The general philosophy when packing for use at the dive site is to pack what you need last, first. Since you are not going to need those fins until it is time to dive, put fins in first. At the opposite end, the first thing you do when you get to your dive site is set up your gear. You want to put your regulator and BCD on the tank before you leave the dock in case there are any problems. You need the BCD and regulator first; pack those towards the top. Here are more packing tips…

CONTINUE READING

I do not get to travel dive much. If I always wondered about the travel bags. They are so. If and bulky is it ok to take on the boat?

They look nice for Travel. If I feel like you still need a compact boat bag?

I do not get to travel dive much. If I always wondered about the travel bags. They are so. If and bulky is it ok to take on the boat?

They look nice for Travel. If I feel like you still need a compact boat bag?

Those famous words "It depends"

It depends on the type of traveling you're doing. I used my LBT (military deployment bag company) to carry all of my dive stuff and my clothes when I was driving to a live aboard and heading out from there. It worked great as everything was in one bag.

However, when flying and whatnot, I liked to have my stuff compartmentalized into smaller bags that were easier to manage with one exception. If one of my bags was going to be overweighted and the airline was going to charge me, then I'd take my LBT bag with everything in it. If I'm going to pay the fee, I'm going to make it worth it.

Those famous words "It depends"

It depends on the type of traveling you're doing. I used my LBT (military deployment bag company) to carry all of my dive stuff and my clothes when I was driving to a live aboard and heading out from there. It worked great as everything was in one bag.

However, when flying and whatnot, I liked to have my stuff compartmentalized into smaller bags that were easier to manage with one exception. If one of my bags was going to be overweighted and the airline was going to charge me, then I'd take my LBT bag with everything in it. If I'm going to pay the fee, I'm going to make it worth it.

So let's use the example of one big travel bag not on a live aboard. You going to a resort and going to be boat diving. I do not feel like the travel bag would be welcome on a dive boat.

I have a Stahlsac Boanire that I use on dive boats. It is perfect for all my gear. The boats I have gone diving off of and ones I have researched into diving off have all stated that roll-ons were not permitted and nothing bigger than one mesh gear bag and one small dry bag.

But as you can see my experience is limited...for now! One a side note, the only thing I don't like about the Bonaire bag is I wish the outside pocket was bigger and padded like some other bags I have seen. It would be perfect for your regulator but other than that it is a great bag.

Me, North Face duffle bag (Large) with a mesh bag on my last trip. I had trouble portering the 30 kg duffle bag and a back pack Dec 2016 when I traveled to Koh Tao (Abu Dhabi to Bangkok to Koh Samui to Koh Tao). I will get a rolling duffle bag for my next international trip. But rolling duffle bag weight will be a consideration. I have my eyes on a 120 litre rolling duffle bag that weighs just 4 pounds. I have seen similar bags that weigh 2-3 times more!

So let's use the example of one big travel bag not on a live aboard. You going to a resort and going to be boat diving. I do not feel like the travel bag would be welcome on a dive boat.

For reference, attached is the bag that I use, although not my picture, otherwise the exact deployment bag. If I'm going to a resort, and then doing diving on a dive boat, I'll pack my gear within smaller specific bags (reg bag, BC is in it's own bag [SB Hydros], etc...) and carry those onto the dive boat while by deployment bag stays in the hotel. It all does fit very nicely. Next time I break the gear out for a trip like that I'll take pics and post them.

That being said,
I'm going to one of the dive shops on the complete opposite side of town tomorrow to check out the Caicos Cargo bag for the wife. Chances are, we'll get two and I'll just use a dedicated bag for the gear. Would make life a lot easier. I'll update y'all this weekend on what we roll with (pun intended).

ETA: Dang pic didn't upload. I'll redo when I get home. Doh...

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom