Any tips for removing a stuck Hollis Reg Cover?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
So apparently this has been corrected with the new regs released last year, so I've been told, but a reg like the @Hollis Gear Nick 212 is prone to seizing. And well, I got two of them that are locked up.

It was suggested to me to bring some CLR and water to a boil, remove from burner and then soak the reg for 10 minutes and this may free the locked cover threads. But before I go to such extremes I thought I'd see if anyone has any tips or tricks. The last resort suggestion was a hack saw. :(

Ah..... leave it alone until there is a problem? Sleeping dogs lie and all that?

Not a Hollis guy, but if there is enough area on the outer circumference, use a strap wrench. I have a rubber one that I have used.
Second option, if the ring is metal and has notches, get a screwdriver and place blade on notch and tap it with a mallet. This one will make you squint as it will surely scratch the reg.

ETA googled image of reg, looks like plastic?

Not an owner either and pics do look plastic. I have used a silicone jar opener for other stuck covers.

I'd start with just placing the cover side down in a bowl of very hot water. If this doesn't work then add vinegar or best yet use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2124.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 92
I also have no particular knowledge of Hollis. My fix for stuck plastic parts is long soaks in fresh water, perhaps with a bit of heat to aide penetration. I am talking weeks. When the 2nd stage regs are not in use, store them in water. Then try the various tool mentioned to gain a mechanical advantage.

Hopefully NOT the one I sent you?

Hopefully NOT the one I sent you?

No and thank you I received it on Friday. However, I will be liberally applying some lube to those threads before use. Maybe even a single wrap of Teflon tape.

These are my primary and pony regs. There's nothing wrong with them, but I figured since it's like 30 degrees outside right now and I ain't diving for a while it would be wise to do some light maintenance on my gear. Salt clean up, silicone spray, etc.

I'll try some of the suggestion and if I can't get it open, well, I'll leave them be for now.

No and thank you I received it on Friday. However, I will be liberally applying some lube to those threads before use. Maybe even a single wrap of Teflon tape.

These are my primary and pony regs. There's nothing wrong with them, but I figured since it's like 30 degrees outside right now and I ain't diving for a while it would be wise to do some light maintenance on my gear. Salt clean up, silicone spray, etc.

I'll try some of the suggestion and if I can't get it open, well, I'll leave them be for now.

I've got three of those 212 second stages - and I've serviced many others at the dive shop. I would always unscrew them and rinse mine to keep them from seizing at the end of every dive. (Generally - in water - while doing a safety or deco stop.)

After a time - I noticed that one had become so loose that it would unscrew itself. More than once - after teaching OW class - I'd have to search by the training platforms to find the ring and cover piecd... I spoke to Hollis at DEMA about this. They said that the body of the regulator had probably become worn and would no longer achieve the friction fit it was designed for. They said it was because I had removed and replaced in fresh quarry or spring water - and it would have been better to do in tap water - without any possibility of grit. Meh. I tend like the Scubapro design using a pin to prevent turning - as opposed to this friction fit.

On the occasions where I've been unable to hand turn, I've had some success using a bath rug (that super grippy rubber on the back side that keeps the rug from slipping) got a good grip on the plastic ring as well. When we asked the manufacturer for advice - they suggested drilling holes in the ring and putting a spanner on it... Not great advice in my opinion. Although this would have only damaged the cosmetics and not the function of the second stage - our customers would not have been happy...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Not an owner either and pics do look plastic. I have used a silicone jar opener for other stuck covers.

I'd start with just placing the cover side down in a bowl of very hot water. If this doesn't work then add vinegar or best yet use an ultrasonic cleaner.
I ultrasound Scubapro plastic pieces all the time, but Hollis does not recommend using ultrasonic cleaners on the plastic parts on of their regulators.

I don't see how an ultrasound bath is going to hurt plastic, but in this case I suspect awap's idea of a long warm soak is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom