La Parguera, Puerto Rico Trip Report - December 27-30, 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

This is a brief report of my yearly trip to La Parguera, Puerto Rico from December 27 through December 30, 2016. I've been diving at La Parguera at this time for the past several years. It is in my opinion an overlooked area for diving that can be very rewarding.

We dove with West Divers, one of the two operators in town. We made our reservations in August and asked for our favorite divemaster, Bam Bam. We met at the dock at 7:30-7:45am and were on our way out by 8:15-8:30. A camera bucket was available for those bringing cameras. The ride out to the wall takes about a half hour. At each dive site, we placed a buoy in the water with a current line and a descent line. Almost all of our dives had strong current - very unusual for this time of year. After the first dive, we decided to do drift dives from that point on and carried a surface buoy. We ended up covering a lot of territory! Dive times were about 45 minutes. The water temperature was 80-81F. I was fine in a 3mm shorty. One diver just had a skin, the other a full 3mm.

During the surface intervals, fruit, cookies, water, and soft drinks were available. One of the divers brought fresh pineapple from one of the roadside stands. The surface intervals were long enough to allow us good bottom time for both dives. Fish life was plentiful. Lots of standard Caribbean fish, eels, and some nurse sharks. We made it back by 1pm each day.

For places to stay, I recommend Villa Parguera. There is also the newly opened Parguera Plaza hotel. You'll find various restaurants open for lunch and dinner. La Parguera's town plaza was very lively at night and sometimes offered live music. If you're traveling with non-divers, there are several good beaches in the area (Playa Santa, Playa Sucia, El Combate) and you are a short drive away from San German and Ponce (great art museum!).

I find La Parguera to be one of the most relaxing places to visit. I feel like I truly unwind when I am there. I suggest you add La Parguera to your list of places to visit. I always have a great time.

Happy New Year!

Stop telling people!
I usually use Kiko and Cashi over at Paradise and stay at Turtle Bay Inn.
It really is some great diving.

Back
Top Bottom