Heated Undersuit batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

only vest that I would recommend is made by a company called Exo2.

Typhoon was the first to bring a dedicated vest from them, followed by UTD. UWLD is a reseller for one of their vests right now.
FabRoc™
this technology is far safer than the traditional woven carbon yarn that is used in everything else because it can't short and is extremely difficult to damage. You can knife this thing and make it look like swiss cheese and it will still work properly. It is also current limited so you aren't going to burn yourself on it with hot spots.

conveniently, this still is also a helluva lot cheaper than what Santi, DUI, etc are selling as dedicated diving vests which are nothing more than rebadged motorcycle vests. Nothing inherently wrong with them, but there is something inherently wrong in my mind with them charging 2x as much money for something that isn't nearly as good technology wise

only vest that I would recommend is made by a company called Exo2.

Typhoon was the first to bring a dedicated vest from them, followed by UTD. UWLD is a reseller for one of their vests right now.
FabRoc™
this technology is far safer than the traditional woven carbon yarn that is used in everything else because it can't short and is extremely difficult to damage. You can knife this thing and make it look like swiss cheese and it will still work properly. It is also current limited so you aren't going to burn yourself on it with hot spots.

conveniently, this still is also a helluva lot cheaper than what Santi, DUI, etc are selling as dedicated diving vests which are nothing more than rebadged motorcycle vests. Nothing inherently wrong with them, but there is something inherently wrong in my mind with them charging 2x as much money for something that isn't nearly as good technology wise
That looks really nice. Will keep an eye on it. Do you know what is the connector on the vest? What about gloves and other heated products? ...and what about CE?

BTW I can buy Santi heated vest in Europe for about the same price (210 USD). It seems Santi is digging gold in US :)

Last edited:
they use standard IP-67 2.5mm barrel connectors, it is up to the manufacturers to make things like gloves and what not, but they do have various motorcycle products that you can use. Highly unlikely to have CE approval since their target market is in the US.

I have a 2 x 10 Ah from light monkey with a pitkin switch.
This allows for 100, 80, 60 and 30% power.
I'm in this boat now, trying to power the Santi heated undersuit and gloves (145W). How has the LM battery with Pitkin held up? I like the UWLD heater controller option, but it's $400 more for only 160Wh versus 230Wh.

I’ve been working at heated gear for some time now. I have tried multiple setups and have settled in on the Uwld battery and controller, the piezo switch can be sensitive so I’ve made a protective cover for it. I have an exoglo vest but got tired of getting shocked while wearing it. So have gone with a motorcycle vest, that I’ve had no issues with. I cut off all the connectors, and soldered in xt60 connectors, so have universal connections on vest and gloves.

I'm in this boat now, trying to power the Santi heated undersuit and gloves (145W). How has the LM battery with Pitkin held up? I like the UWLD heater controller option, but it's $400 more for only 160Wh versus 230Wh.
that suit is a ton of watts, you need at least 200Wh.
but I cant imagine running it on high even ice diving

I do 3hrs in 38F water and rarely run my 50w vest on high

@rjack321 the UWLD is more than capable of powering the whole suit, but I agree that you're never going to run it on high, you'll literally cook yourself. You could probably use that suit in a bag drysuit with no undergarments under the ice and be OK. Realistically you'll consume somewhere around 30-50w

@rjack321 the UWLD is more than capable of powering the whole suit, but I agree that you're never going to run it on high, you'll literally cook yourself. You could probably use that suit in a bag drysuit with no undergarments under the ice and be OK. Realistically you'll consume somewhere around 30-50w
The UWLD 160w just a very expensive and not very versatile option compared to a bare canister with a LM pitkin head. And not that many WHs either.

The UWLD 160w just a very expensive and not very versatile option compared to a bare canister with a LM pitkin head. And not that many WHs either.

OP needs to fly, contrary to what LM claims, those big batteries can't fly. The packs themselves have been individually UN certified, the packs together in that canister have not been.

The UWLD is MUCH more versatile IMO because of the stack caps. With the LM you always have the cords sticking out if you get multiple cords but don't use them all the time, and if you only have one but want to add multiple devices you have to send it back for retrofit.
Add in SECS charging with latchless canister, don't have constant heat output, and the UWLD has more heat settings so less flicking on and off.
It's expensive sure, but I think it's a much better design and certainly much more versatile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom