Simple DIN question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crack the plug with a wrench until the pressure releases. You'll only lose what's in the valve and not the whole tank.

Crack the plug with a wrench until the pressure releases. You'll only lose what's in the valve and not the whole tank.

Of course you won't lose the air in the tank, but that's not the point. It's the pressure behind the plug, with a full tank and a good seal, it'll be VERY tight. It's not like moving a yoke regulator around on a valve when it's pressurized.

All of mine have a hex on the outside I can grab with a crecent wrench and back out out until the oring blows. Usually with a minimal amount of cussing it comes out.

I screw the DIN cap onto the DIN plug and put them in my mask case, they both tend to wander off if they are not attached to each other and in a confined space.
I always carry a 10' adjustable wrench , unless I am flying, to take out DIN plugs that have gotten pressure behind them, it also works to tighten yoke retaining nuts that have come loose.

I see several references to din plugs. Is this something I should be looking to get? I'm currently just using the plastic cover for the valve. Also should I apply a little silicone to the threads? Thanks

no lube on threads, it attracts sand and various other things and can cause more problems than it is worth.

are we talking about valve plugs or regulator caps?

for valve plugs, there really isn't much of a reason for them unless you are trying to keep gas from escaping. Carry these with a good sized wrench *hint, that's what that little hole on the side of your valve outlet is for*
DGX HP Sealing DIN Plug w/Viton O-Ring

for regulator caps, the cheap ones work fine
Threaded Dust Cap for DIN Regulator, Plastic

This works better if you need a DIN tank valve plug:
Electro-Plated Finish Din Plug w/ Pressure Release Button

The chrome in the DIN threads in the valve tend to wear with time, I would avoid any extra wear if possible.

Electro-Plated-Finish-Din-Plug-w-Pressure-Release-Button-One-plug2501-7419.jpg

Electro-Plated-Finish-Din-Plug-w-Pressure-Release-Button-One-plug2501-7418.jpg

I had assumed that these plugs were there to protect the threads and keep the valve from getting knocked out of round, not for containing air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom