Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adelaar Cruises

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
New-Year-Resolution-800x200.jpg

9 New Year Resolutions for the Adventurer in You!

Let’s face it. Thousands of us make New Year resolutions but only a slim percentage actually follow through with them. If you were one of the few who could keep one of these resolutions, how cool would that be!

I RESOLVE TO…take all my vacation time!
“I have never believed that vacations are luxuries. They are our necessities–just like shelter, clothes, and food, they make us feel like humans and not like animals that care only for survival.” -Alexander Babinets

Many employers won’t pay for unused vacation time; you either use it or lose it. On the other hand, if you are lucky, you love your job and don’t want to take time away. Motivational speaker Zig Ziglar has a good point, “isn’t it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?” So if taking a vacation makes you more productive then it stands to reason that it’s a good thing for you and your company…right?

I RESOLVE TO…Travel to foreign exotic lands
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

It’s a fact that Indonesia is in the heart of the coral triangle, home to some of the most bio-divers waters in the world. With over 17,000 islands this island nations culture, customs, natural beauty, people, and topography put it near the top of the list for exotic lands.

I RESOLVE TO…Start taking more dive holidays
“To move, to breathe, to fly, to float; to gain all while you give; to roam the roads of lands remote; to travel is to live.” ― Hans Christian Andersen

Because, why wouldn’t you?!? Are you a snorkeler, free-diver or adventure tourist who just wants to see wonderful scenery above and below? Resolve to spend time and become one with the sea and the amazing vistas, people and natural beauty that is in, and around it.

I RESOLVE TO…Log 30 dives this year
“Put all your favorite things in there, draw little caricatures of things you saw, the dive sites or friends you dived with, have them sign it at the end of the day/trip. Make it fun and you’ll have wonderful memories to look back on and remind you of many more experiences you get to look forward to. - OWSI 3500+ dives

Whether you log your dives or not, get in the water more, it’s good for the soul.

I RESOLVE TO…Get out, socialize and make new friends
“Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” – Maya Angelou

Taking a holiday that includes a hobby with like-minded people is a great way to open up channels for communication. Share the day’s experiences and talk about the plan for the following day. It’s also a great way to learn about life in the countries of the people you meet.

I RESOLVE TO…Learn 10 foreign words wherever I go.
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.” ‒ Nelson Mandela

There are lots of laughs to be had teaching and learning languages with the locals. Mispronunciation can be part of the fun. Huge smiles when you get it right can be enough to light up a room. A happy "good morning" in the local language is a great way to start the day.

I RESOLVE TO… Help save an endangered species
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Sharks fining is a sad part of many Asian fishermen’s lively hood. Through programs, patrols and education things are changing, but people need to be aware of how fragile the marine environment is. Projects like Shark Savers and Manta Ray of Hope are always in need of support and donations. Or choose to protect their habitat with support to Coral Reef Conservation.

I RESOLVE TO…See one of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World
“If Komodo dragons are dragons, why can’t they fly?” – Philip J Fry (Futurama)

Komodo dragons are only part of what makes Komodo special. One of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World, it also offers amazing diving and beautiful topside topography but the dragon is near the top of most visitors wish lists. It’s a pre-historic beast that’s also a DRAGON; who wouldn’t want to see that?!

I RESOLVE TO…Try ethnic Food I’ve never tried before
“Variety is the spice of life” – William Cowper

Indonesia has a wonderful cuisine! Choose from celebrated specialties such as Beef Rendang (one of Indonesia’s most complex dishes) or Pepes Ikan (fish cooked in a banana leaf). You may also want to spice up your taste buds with Kari Ayam (chicken curry). Don’t forget the local hot sauce (sambal) and fried shallots. Maybe you want great flavor without the heat? The national dish, Sate Ayam and peanut sauce are milder choices for “bules” who don’t want to tax their taste buds with chilies.

Just remember…
“Once the travel bug bites there is no known antidote, and I know that I shall be happily infected until the end of my life.” – Michael Palin

This is one infection I’d happily let run its course.

Last edited:
I turn 60 in 2019 & I plan to do a lot of traveling! In the spring, I am planning a trip to Death Valley & the eastern Sierra Mountains. The trip will focus (pardon the pun) on landscape and aviation photography. I hope to hit locations such as Badwater Basin (the lowest point in the western hemisphere), Zabreski Point and the Mesquite Dunes in Death Valley, followed by a few days at Sidewinder Low Level Training Area (better known as "Star Wars Canyon" or the "Jedi Transition"). While shooting the Jedi Transition, I expect every day to begin with shooting sunrise in the eastern Sierras.

A couple weeks after this, I will be heading to Roatan for a week at the CocoView.

The big trip of the year, however, looks like it will likely be a photo trip to the Maldives in the fall.

It has been a long time since I have managed to get away for two dive trips in one year, and I am looking forward to each one of these trips!

Back
Top Bottom