Do you wear a dive watch?

Do you wear a dive watch?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Over on several watch forums, there have been comments that while dive watches are stylish, usually have impressive tech, and are nice timepieces, but that "few divers actually wear dive watches, and use computers instead".

So, do you wear a dive watch?

On all dives?
Most dives?
Only on the surface?
Don't own a dive watch?

I had considered this dive watch. The Momentum Steelix. But will get a computer first.

1m-sp84b7b.jpg

Use to wear my TAG..but now i have a wrist computer which has a time piece built in.

I know more non-divers that wear dive watches, than actual divers. Same goes for those pilot watches with the built in barometer and compass. With modern diving being almost 100% computer based, and dive profiles planned and executed as such, a dive watch does very little other than tell time these days. I do own a TAG Heuer that was given to me long before I started diving, and have never used it for diving. I remember thinking when I got that expensive watch "Maybe I should take up scuba diving now"

I wear a Garmin Vivo Active on the surface or while swimming. It's a waterproof smart watch that's supposed to be good down to 100 meters.

But why dive with it?

I dive redundant PDCs on most every dive. Consequently, adding a watch on top of that isn't very comfortable! I can click on the time on either one should I ever really need to know what time is or if I ever really care. If so, I can't imagine why. We've all got time enough to dive! :D :D :D (Apologies to fans of Chicago)

I bought a new Seiko Turtle just like the one I used many years ago when I started diving back in the late 70s.

I got my Citizen Aqualand about 10 years ago and used it as a backup computer for a while. (records 4 dives, max/avg depth, temps, times). Certainly not particularly expensive at about $200 when I bought it, but I see the prices have gone nuts since then. It's my day to day watch now and came in handy when I loaned out my backup computer on a trip. Used as a depth gauge more than anything though the other info is good to have..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom