Backup Mask - Ever Had to Use While Solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always have a spare mask in my BC pocket... Never needed it.. But, I swapped to it on a few dives that my main mask was in one of those "I love to fog" dives.. Like it was said before. Better to have it and not need it, Then to need it and not have it..

Jim...

PS... I live my life every day on those words...

Don't carry one. I have perscription lenses in my mask. If I lose or break it my diving is done, so I am very, very, extremely careful with it.

The only time I would really want to carry the spare mask is in the ocean where the water stings the crap out of my eyes. In fresh water where I do most of my diving my only issue without a mask is the reading my gauges. Also in my usual dive sites, the vis is so poor, the mask is only good for reading the gauges anyway. :wink:.
I do bring a spare mask whenever I dive but it stays on the boat or on shore if it's freshwater.

I almost always wear some sort of hood. (Cold water in the midwest.) And my mask strap is always under the hood. The chances of me completely loosing a mask due to a strap breaking or a kick to the face are pretty much next to nil. Likewise - something unexpectedly breaking the lens during a dive ( spear gun shot to the face?) - also next to nil.

I used to carry a spare mask in my drysuit pocket. I no longer do.

I always keep a back up on the boat or beach but not on my person. It has come in handy. Attaching one to you BCD does sound like a good idea especially on longer, deeper dives where returning to your origin point would be too time consuming. Hope this helps

A friend lost his mask to a Giant Pacific Octopus many years ago... they were "playing" and it removed his mask and swam away with it. My friend had about 10,000 dives under his belt at the time and took it all in stride. He followed the GPO around for five minutes or so before retrieving it...

He carried a spare after that!

I have a photo of all this someplace... I'll see if I can find it!

In the rare event that I push NDL while solo, I carry one eyepiece from a pair of swim goggles.

Interesting... How are you planning on clearing it?

I didn't want to be the one to ask, but it was on my mind during deco today.
Cameron

In topic, I occasionally carry a backup mask. Used it once when my strap let go and it was easy to swap instead of fix in gloves.

Last edited:

Easy, with practice. Place over eye with lower portion of lense pulled slightly off cheek. Look down at about a 45 degree angle and exhale through nose. Bubbles will ride up your cheek and be captured in the eyepiece. It will not be completely clear but good enough to read gauges.

Back
Top Bottom