Which camera for first scuba camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
I'm looking to buy my first camera for scuba diving. I'm not crazy into taking lots of pictures or video but that being said the person I used to dive with who had a camera has recently moved away so if I want to take any pics or video I will now need my own setup. I do mostly fresh water lake diving with not the best visibility 10-20ft is average. Where should I start looking? I know the sky is the limit as far as price goes but I can not see myself spending more than $300 at the moment. Thanks!

All,
I'm looking to buy my first camera for scuba diving. I'm not crazy into taking lots of pictures or video but that being said the person I used to dive with who had a camera has recently moved away so if I want to take any pics or video I will now need my own setup. I do mostly fresh water lake diving with not the best visibility 10-20ft is average. Where should I start looking? I know the sky is the limit as far as price goes but I can not see myself spending more than $300 at the moment. Thanks!
I'm by no means an expert under(or over) water photographer, but I'd suggest looking at an 'older' generation Canon with the Canon underwater housing.

I recently snagged a backup WP-DC28 housing on eBay for $30.00 and used G10's can be had for <$150 (again on eBay) . Not the latest and greatest technology by any means, but still a very capable setup.

How about a gopro3/4

I'm by no means an expert under(or over) water photographer, but I'd suggest looking at an 'older' generation Canon with the Canon underwater housing.

I recently snagged a backup WP-DC28 housing on eBay for $30.00 and used G10's can be had for <$150 (again on eBay) . Not the latest and greatest technology by any means, but still a very capable setup.

I'd agree with this one. I had a G10 before going with my current DSLR, and it took very good quality photos. For the newer diver, a system like this gives you simplicity, range, and quality at a very nice entrance price.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have a GoPro 3 that I used to use for skydiving. It works perfectly, with both video and camera options. I bought mine new years ago for under $200. Since I am new at scuba, I like to leave my hands free. I use a wrist mount, which also works really well.

Thanks!

I'd agree with this one. I had a G10 before going with my current DSLR, and it took very good quality photos. For the newer diver, a system like this gives you simplicity, range, and quality at a very nice entrance price.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thanks! I'm not exactly a new diver...need to update my dive count and the fact that I recently started my Tec diving cert but that being said I'm new to photography. It was nice having my buddy around. He used a sea life and it did just fine for what I would want. Will the G10 be able to accept light sources like strobes or video lights should I want that in the future?

If you are new to photography I suggest the following:
- read up on underwater photography
- buy an inexpensive "starter" kit
- learn more before you spend big $$$$

There are several online blogs / tutorials covering the basic aspects of underwater photography. Read them all. Make notes. Come here and ask questions.

Start with an inexpensive camera (think used compact as suggested above). Use it to learn what it can and can not do. Use it to learn what you can and can not do (or like). Think of it as a cheap disposable learning tool.

Learn some more.

If you get hooked, be prepared to spend huge piles of money ($10k +) on camera gear.

If you are very very lucky you may be happy with your starter camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom