VIP Cost for Nitrox Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How much does it cost to VIP Nitrox tanks? Does your place oxygen clean it every time?

~$50 where I do my tanks as it requires Oxygen cleaning.
They use partial pressure blending.

Same tank in Force E: $14.

I bring this up because some of us have 10-30 tanks in our inventory. Some of us inspect our own tanks after getting appropriate training.
Thanks.

Last edited:
It cost me $35 at my LDS for the VIP, O2 clean with the fill included. Not sure if they require you to have it cleaned every time or not.

you only need O2 cleaning after hydro testing or if water gets into tanks to create rust,so O2 cleaning is basically good for 5 years. VIP must be done yearly.

O2 cleaning and VIP for a set of doubles was quoted at $150 not including a $50 nitrox 32-36 fill in El Paso.

I wanted a bag of whatever he was smoking and do my own O2 cleaning and VIP now

Shops here require annual O2 with VIP
that is just a ripoff-bad enough shops will hit you after hydro- usually $30-40 for tank o2 cleaning and same amount for valves- but to charge that amount yearly is robbery. This was the reason
that I took training to become and tank vis. inspector & a Padi tech gas blender/O2 cleaner inspector. O2 cleaning is a tedious job but well worth doing it yourself in you have a uge collection of tanks and I have..

you only need O2 cleaning after hydro testing or if water gets into tanks to create rust,so O2 cleaning is basically good for 5 years
I've never heard of the O2 clean after hydro rule - I hydro'd 4 of my HP steels last year and they didn't require an O2 clean then. I've actually never got any of my tanks O2 cleaned as my LDS banks EAN32. Today I paid $12 for a VIP on one of those HP steels with $8 for an EAN32 fill (air fill would have been free).

I've never heard of the O2 clean after hydro rule - I hydro'd 4 of my HP steels last year and they didn't require an O2 clean then. I've actually never got any of my tanks O2 cleaned as my LDS banks EAN32. Today I paid $12 for a VIP on one of those HP steels with $8 for an EAN32 fill (air fill would have been free).

its not a rule.... its a domino effect. you hydro and then inspect for rust when dry for the O2 vis. If rust is there you tumble and clean. If no rust or other indicators of hydrocarbons you do nothing.

Thank god my shop banks their nitrox.
I can switch back and forth between air and nitrox without all the hassle.
(Except for the scuba police sticker they insist has to be there for nitrox)

I finally had to invent me a nitrox sticker that I could slide on and off the tank like those mesh protector things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom