Input on our Accident and Incidents Forum... What do you want? How do you want it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not really. I'm just tired of peepz wishing condolences, prayers and wishes to people they don't know and who never even visit the board. It's disingenuous and contributes nothing to the discussion.
The exception is if there is a member directly affected by the incident that is also participating in the thread. Expressing sympathy before posting a contribution to the thread could be entirely appropriate under these special circumstances.

The exception is if there is a member directly affected by the incident that is also participating in the thread. Expressing sympathy before posting a contribution to the thread could be entirely appropriate under these special circumstances.

Exactly! And in those specific instances, I have done so and so have others because "after all, these are real people" :)

Not even the most anal curmudgeon is going to insist that the condolence not be given in such a case. The "rule" isn't for such; the rule is in place for otherwise. commonsense.

Not really. I'm just tired of peepz wishing condolences, prayers and wishes to people they don't know and who never even visit the board. It's disingenuous and contributes nothing to the discussion.

In that sense, I agree :). Have a great day :cheers:

• Why do you come here?
To learn what could happen and mentally prepare my "what-if". I've always played mental "what-if" games when watching my kids. From learning to crawl, walk and climb...I have a plan in how to react IF something occurs. Same with driving a car or scuba diving. What if...
  • Why do you post accidents and incidents
Only posted once in near misses. It was to get a different perspective on what happened. And I received a few...
  • WHAT IS OUR MISSION? (in your words, please)
Analysis of the event to make us all safer divers.
  • Are we meeting your and the community's needs?
Yes.
  • What are we missing and why?
First hand accounts because those in the know need to protect themselves from litigation.
  • How can we add that?
Allow eye witnesses to post under pseudonyms. Not sure how you'd do it, but it's already happening when mods post for someone else.
  • What needs to be eliminated and why?
Spin/damage control. Fear of litigation. That's a tall order! But essential if we are to learn.

Short story...I once had a mild case of DCS that required a chamber ride. I wanted to share my experience at my local shop so others could learn. They didn't screw up, I did. And my training taught me to recognize the symptoms and take appropriate action. Owner's wife (also an instructor) was more concerned about looking bad.
  • How can we be more respectful to friends and survivors?
Maybe an auto reply to the first post reminding friends/family that they may not want to read what follows and continue at the risk of being upset.
  • Can we be more respectful without harming our mission?
Clearly identifying facts vs speculation
  • Currently, we don't allow names to be used unless released publicly first. Is this fair for the family? Is it fair for us? Is a change needed?
Yes. Yes. No.

Exactly! And in those specific instances, I have done so and so have others because "after all, these are real people" :)

Not even the most anal curmudgeon is going to insist that the condolence not be given in such a case. The "rule" isn't for such; the rule is in place for otherwise. commonsense.

Eeaasy there. We don't want anyone thinking that I'm a 'nice' curmudgeon.

Ditto X10,000. If you have something valuable to add and you want to end your post with "my condolences" than great. But, if you are simply writing those two words and that's it...

OK, OK :surrender:I had no idea that it actually angered people. Sheesh! :wink:
Point is, the one- or two-line condolences with no relevance to the cause of the accident is actually against the special rules for this forum:

• Discussions should only be about the causes, theories and remedies for these accidents. Off topic posts or those with off topic comments may be removed without notice. Condolences, including comments indicating surprise and indignation, should be kept to the Passings Forum, legal action should be kept to the Scuba Related Court Cases Forum and so forth.

So there's really no surprise if people get ever so slightly peeved when you do just that :)

That's a great idea, if someone would volunteer the time to manage it for every accident. I suspect that's a decent sized task.

Agree that it's a great idea, but also that it's going to be difficult and probably time-consuming.

@Storker Yes, I get it, I quoted the same info in my post. I am a rules are the rules person (mostly unless the rule is stupid). I will consider this a MOD telling me to stop it. * Darn it where is that smiley with a halo??? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom