NITROX marked tanks MUST be filled to 24% or greater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSI is not a law making body. Not in the US, not in Canada, not anywhere.
I am not saying by their created standards but by their published and interpreted standards. PSI has collected regulatins from allover and made a comprehensive reference or combined standard that complies with all lawful regulations.

I( have always got a laugh at the idea that all compressed containers have to be labeled with its contents. When is the last time you saw a tank marked AIR.

If you think my avatar is my real picture you must be new here.

Ya, Brian! How many times have I told you to cut out the chain smoking and get a haircut, would ya just!!

I am not saying by their created standards but by their published and interpreted standards. PSI has collected regulatins from allover and made a comprehensive reference or combined standard that complies with all lawful regulations.

I'm pretty sure PSI standards do "meet or exceed" lawful regulations.

I'm pretty sure PSI standards do "meet or exceed" lawful regulations.
I agree. they meet at least the minimum and exceed when possible to avoid any situation that would be considered a gray area.

Obviously there are regulating agencies for the "tank market". Scuba is a small sub-set of that. Who/How do the regulations pertaining to scuba get created? It's beginning to feel a bit like the Wild West the deeper I get in to this.

"I do what I want, when I want, how I want. It's my shop and I run it like I want to (until something blows up....or I go broke.) :confused: :popcorn:

Is PSI the only educational game in town?

Obviously there are regulating agencies for the "tank market". Scuba is a small sub-set of that. Who/How do the regulations pertaining to scuba get created? It's beginning to feel a bit like the Wild West the deeper I get in to this.

"I do what I want, when I want, how I want. It's my shop and I run it like I want to (until something blows up....or I go broke.) :confused: :popcorn:

SDI has a comparable training class for VCI. Their class used to have the quality of being a VCI cert that did not need renewal. PCI's VCI needs to be renewed every three years. However, when I spoke to SDI at DEMA this year - they mentioned that they too require renewal every three years now as well.

SDI Visual Inspection Procedures | SDI | TDI | ERDI

It seems that in many ways - the PCI and SDI classes are fungible. But since I have only taken the PCI training - perhaps someone who has had both can chime in.

Last edited:
If the hasmat and the inspection parts were separated only the hasmat would be renewed each 3 years. With the hasmat portion you can train all in your area and the agencies would not get their """"cut""""". So the inspection portion is put in the class with the hasmat so it can appear to expire also.

No its not. PSI has had the market cornered in that by federal regulation PSI is the only agency of inspectors that are allowed/authorized to inspect a certain catagory of tanks. That alone gives the impression that PSi is the top and no others can compete. Also with tying the hasmat to the inspection PSI can say that other agencies are not proper because they are out of date. Only the has mat goes out of date. Hense the competition. Other agencies are teaching a version of inspection like PSI does to over come the stigma of being not in compliance with the fed regs.. They are copying PSI's material and PSI is pissed that they do the research and work and the other agencies are using their final product as the base for their versions. Its like the record companies and bootleg copies. Only they are not copying they are saying that if the feds recognize PSI as a reliable source then they can use the source and skip their own legal and research costs. All you need is a student manual and you have the course. The other agencies want access to the full line of inspectable tanks. PSI is holding their own with the feds for a couple of reasons. They were first n the game and it takes time to change the rules to let all others in the game. and PSI can say they are always up to date and the competitors are not because they copy PSI which makes them behind the curve. As psi is not specifically a scuba organization and more a general tank inspection group adapted for scuba much of the info does not apply to 99.9% of scuba tanks. The remaining .!% is the special category of tanks. (All fiber tanks like firefighters use) But because of that .1% Psi can say they are fully accredited by the feds to handle all your needs unlike any of the remaining compeditors.

If the hasmat and the inspection parts were separated only the hasmat would be renewed each 3 years. With the hasmat portion you can train all in your area and the agencies would not get their """"cut""""". So the inspection portion is put in the class with the hasmat so it can appear to expire also.
It is separated. A PSI VCI can teach the Fill Station Operator class. I teach a FSO class (Fill Station Operator)) for the shop staff - which meets the hazmat recurring training requirement. There is no formal PSI certificate. I keep records of the training for the shop - and print a recognition certificate for the participants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom