Swing Flip Lens adapters...anyone use these? Would love some input, these arent exactly inexpensive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least with my Ikelite housing, strobe and Sola1200 as video/focus light, the close-up lens was a minor addition. The benefit with the Ikelite adapter is you can just pull it off to take video and regular pictures.

What I like about the lens (and I've only had it for 2 dives now) is that if you remember to get close enough (oops) then the auto-focus of the G16 will take care of the actual macro focus if you can keep fairly still. I find the whole rig very convenient and using the lens is not any more of a distraction than using the camera.

It helps to have a similar photographer buddy who has solid skills. :)

... and here's one more picture with the lensView attachment 382947

Nice pic! It def needs to be easy for me! I just bought two IKE Vegas I have to put on my rig...... Im afraid I have over done it maybe but I kind of like the video angle as well....its easy to do and I really enjoy watching the videos later. The G16 has a very ANNOYING sound when using video though. I hate it. I have to use music over it to tolerate it....sometimes I just like the sound of bubbles :)

Yes, the G16 video background sound is horrible. I'm not sure what it is, but the autofocus system is a prime suspect. Lately I just drop the volume to -24db in Premier elements as I am not longer entranced by the sound of bubbles. ;-)

It's even worse when videoing with my rebreather. All you hear is the G16 'noise' plus anything I do with the housing (moving the light flex arm, bumping it, etc.). Since I mostly dive for the silence of the underwater world, I find I now appreciate that in my videos as well. I leave just enough sound so it's not dead silence.

Ok so I got my Howshot and close up lens yesterday! YAY! One question though......I know what ghosting is but the instructions ion applying the anti ghost sticker is not clear at all....can someone explain that to me for my G16/fantasia housing?

Many thanks!

anti ghost sticker? what is that? I also have ION lenses but no stickers on them.
I would say forget about putting stickers on your lenses ... no need for that.
i am in the same boat. i am aware that some people have problems with white letters on the end surface of the camera lens reflecting back via a diopter.

i do not have that problem with my g16 (i also do not know if it has white letters on the lens barrel, i am away from home atm...)

please edumacate us and explain your problem more clearly...

The INON lens came with these "anti-ghost stickers" that are round and black.and apparently you trim them to fit the front barrel (where the lens info is?) and stick it on this to prevent ghosting. I wasnt thrilled to see this--thats the last thing I want! The instructions are not very good. I am still trying to put this thing together with my fantasia housing and Ike tray, which is causing me some grief at the moment. Once I get it assembled I can play with it. GiffenK, do you have the Fantasea housing too? If so, Im going to skip the stickers......the G16 does not have any white lettering at the end of the barrel.

The INON lens came with these "anti-ghost stickers" that are round and black.and apparently you trim them to fit the front barrel (where the lens info is?) and stick it on this to prevent ghosting.... GiffenK, do you have the Fantasea housing too? If so, Im going to skip the stickers......the G16 does not have any white lettering at the end of the barrel.
i have a meikon housing with a 67mm screw thread that i do not use anymore. as you confirmed the G16 does not have any white lettering on the outer lens face, but it does have white lettering at the base of the lens. the rubber shroud in my housing that surrounds the lens blocks the lettering so that you can not see it when looking at the lens from the front of the camera.

the fantasea housing appears to have the same type of lens shroud. should be easy to check. just look at the lens when the camera is mounted in the housing. if you see any white letters, use a black sharpy on them...

Sooooooo back from LC, and unfortunately I did not care for this lens setup at all. I could not get it to focus. Probably my doing but nonetheless not worth the hassle so Ill be listing this for sale very soon!

Sooooooo back from LC, and unfortunately I did not care for this lens setup at all. I could not get it to focus. Probably my doing but nonetheless not worth the hassle so Ill be listing this for sale very soon!
could you not get it to focus at all?
OR
did you find it very difficult to hold your subject in the focus sweet spot?

these types of lens are a little tough until you get the knack. they have a very very tiny Depth Of Field at a very specific distance from the lens. camera too close or too far means subject not in focus.

i commonly abandon shots because i can not maintain a steady position due to surge. the area of focus is very small so any camera movement will mean your subject has been moved out of the focus zone.

Back
Top Bottom