Sea Sickness.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been sick underwater a number of times. The first time was a bit scary, but I remembered NOT to take the reg out of my mouth. Throwing up in your regulator isn't hard to do. Throw up and then hit the purge button and everything will come out of the reg (and many little fishes will come to feed). Take a breath from your reg and you'll be fine. If you have to throw up again, just follow the same instructions.
Worth repeating - being sick with a reg in your mouth is no biggie. In fact it can be a good way to see the fish.

Also worth mentioning is that if you have actually been sick, you are more than likely dehydrated to a certain extent so it would be worth having a drink of fresh water or similar prior to diving or ensuring your dive profile is conservative as you will have a higher risk of DCS.

I'm usually okay while the boat is moving. I think it minimizes the effects of the waves (unless they're really big swells) and the wind also helps. The rocking on the stationery boat is definitely what gets me and, as someone else mentioned, swimming on the surface is just as bad since it's the same motion.

Some days I am perfectly fine. I've gone offshore fishing with my Dad and honestly haven't felt a thing on 6-8 hour fishing trips.

I've also dove down and felt okay, after not feeling so good on the boat. But, most of the time getting in the water doesn't help. It's basically the exact same feeling as being on the boat.

Oh god, there's no way I'm going past 10 feet if I don't feel good. I know it's possible to puke under water, but I'm not going to risk it. Plus, if I already feel sick and it doesn't subside in shallow water, then the dive isn't worth it since I know I'll just feel crappy.

Been there, done that, on my first "discover scuba" dive, no less. Just make sure you keep the reg in your mouth. Your reflexes will handle the rest.

That is what works for a buddy of mine. After a bad ride out, we are the first out of the gate and on the bottom. The effect seems to help for a while after we are out of the water. On a real bad ride out she can be too sick to dive at all, luckily it is rare.

Advice I've heard:
Take sea sickness medicine, start before you get on the boat so they are already working.
Stay out in the fresh air
Don't breathe any of the diesel exhaust fumes (or gas)
Look out at the horizon

Feel free to add...
Prevention is better all the way around.

Bob
-------------------
Has never been seasick.... Yet

Meclizine works best if you start taking it (at least) the night before. But it works for me.

Back
Top Bottom