Oahu in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jejton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be going to a Honolulu for a conference in January with my nondiving wife and baby. I gather from reading here that Oahu is not the better of the islands for diving but I doubt we'll have a chance to visit other islands. I'd still like to get in at least one or two dive trips (more is always better..). I am OW with 30-50 dives (it's been about a year since I last dove, so have to dig up the log). Any suggestions? Any suggestions on activities that are doable with an infant (we did Costa Rica with a 5 month old and managed to do quite a bit still, including hikes and boat rides) ?

I'm going myself for the first time later this week, Maui then Oahu. I have booked dives at both islands. For Oahu I had a look around and ended up booking with Island Divers Hawaii. They have their own boat and complete daily morning and afternoon dives so it's easy to schedule/plan. I am hoping for some awesome diving, cant wait.

Just dove with Island Divers on Monday morning and am planning to go out again on Friday morning (I'm here this week for a conference as well). The morning dives are more advanced so you'll likely enjoy the afternoon dives more. A nice service that they offer is to pick you up and drop you off at your hotel so that you really don't need to rent a car if you are staying in downtown Waikiki. Their boat is right behind the shop which also makes it easier.

Dive Oahu does a pretty good job. Most every shop does pick ups in Waikiki.

Just got back from my trip. I managed 8 dives in Maui and Oahu. Both Lahaina (Maui) divers and Island Divers (Oahu) where good well run dive shops. I have to say the quality of the dive gear and the sheer luxury of the dive boat at Lahaina was great. top class. What I have realised is don't bother booking afternoon dive trips unless you want the easiest, shallowest dive sites. Mornings cater for advanced divers and afternoons for the vacationing divers that have not set foot in the water for 5 years. That said the afternoon dive at Mala pier was still good I saw several large turtles plus a number of white tip reef sharks. Overall I would recommend both dive shops they are professional and friendly, dive briefs were detailed and at no point did any procedures get missed or I felt any basic/normal safety procedures had not been taken by either the skippers or the divemasters.

I have only OW with about 50 dives logged. My last dive was about 18 months ago. Would that change any recommendations?
Mockney - Can you comment on the quality of the dives - vis, wildlife, etc. - in Oahu vs. Maui?
If I want to go to Maui for a manta ray night dive, do I need to plan on spending the night on the island? If so, what accomodations would recommend? In the event we do that, I guess we'd spend the day exploring the island but would most likely have to be back in Honolulu the next day. Would that be possible or will the 18hr no-fly limit keep me on the island for a second day? Forgive the ignorance as I really have no idea what travel between the two islands entails.

I went diving on Oahu with Kaimana divers last summer - highly recommended.

For me the highlights were the wrecks (I believe AOW is required as they're all 80-100' deep). I think the reefs in Maui have a bit more life, but there was still plenty to see in Oahu. I got a kick out of the little eels - they were everywhere and all had these derpy grins.

5xN1PNa.jpg

AONbUPk.jpg

KVfGx0A.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom