DM Intern & Instructor Course Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

I'm exploring different locations around the world to complete a Divemaster Internship/Certification and Instructor Certification. They don't need to be in the same location as I'd happily complete my DM in one place then travel somewhere different (for variety) for the Instructor.

The ideal starting date would be beginning of February 2017 for the DM Internship which would naturally mean April/May 2016 for the Instructor Course/Certification.

Right now I'm looking for specific recommendations of dive centers. Open to anywhere around the globe, but currently have South Africa, Bahamas (or Caribbean), Indonesia and Spain on my list.

Cheers,
Elisa

It may not be on your list, but Thailand is a very popular destination to work towards your Divemaster and Instructor ratings. The diving is good, the people are friendly, and the costs will be significantly less here than most of the world. Koh Tao is in the Gulf of Thailand, and is a very popular island for travellers to get certified and for dive enthusiasts to do their DM and IDC.

The benefit of Koh Tao's busy dive industry is that you will be completing your DM course alongside other DMC's, and the majority of your days will be spent diving and interacting with other students and certified divers on the boats. This is great work experience without having to pay for an 'internship' or other likeminded programme. The real life training is coupled with very experienced instructors who have taught many DM's and IDC, and have crafted tried and tested programme that included all that PADI/SSI requires and more.

I did my DM and IDC with Gaz (the course director) at Master Divers. The staff, facilities, and equipment at Master Divers were second to none. The dive centre clearly focused on quality, not quantity, and the professional yet friendly atmosphere was the perfect learning environment. The course included much more than required by PADI, with added skill workshops, opportunities to assist, and countless dives. I couldn't recommend a better dive centre and team to complete your courses with.

Hello! We have some great opportunities here on the beautiful Caribbean island of Roatan, the Bay Islands of Honduras. We offer all inclusive Divemaster and Instructor internships and packages, including equipment rental, unlimited diving, meals, accommodation, conservation work and much more! We also have great discounts if you're taking more than one course with us. If you would like more details, feel free to e-mail us at internship@roatandiveacademy.com at any point and I would be happy to answer all of your questions or put you in contact with some of our former interns for a more personalized opinion. Have a great day and best of luck with you search for the perfect program!

For some of the best training you can always check out Cozumel Dive School and their Divemaster Internship program. They are the only PADI 5 Star IDC Center that offers and teaches all PADI courses on a regular basis. With daily boat trips you get tons of dives and the Instructors and Divemasters that work there are very professional and dive all the most popular dive sites. Plus it is fun!!

www.divemasterinternships.com

Where do you want to teach as a long-term goal? That's where you do your pro level courses.

Also research them very carefully. Some are sausage factories with a churn and burn mentality.

Are you even skilled and experienced enough to start pro training? Have you taken any tech classes? A good idea before falling for some of the recreational marketing junk.

Your skills should be excellent before you start pro training. It's to polish them for teaching. You may have to do the silly Marcel Marceau on quaaludes kneeling skill demos before you do them the way that should be done - like this
Your buoyancy and trim should be nailed before you start pro training. You should be able to take most gear and get neutral and horizontal in a few minutes.

Read the fine print. DM and Instructor training is what you are paying for.

You should not be paying to schlep tanks, sell gear in the shop, solicit people for discovers, sweep floors, clean the boat, toilets, etc. Those are laborer duties that people should be paid for.

Also, ask to see their placement records. In many resort areas, you can swing a dead rat and hit a dozen instructors. Meaning that those who are the cheapest to hire will get the jobs.

Back
Top Bottom