Terminated on grounds of amputation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuckBuucky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I worked 12 hours a day without any issues and my previous employer fired me because of my amputation even after I had disclosed it and sold everything to come down here...
7ee90ce1ee945cca24747b3791cf42d1.png

How long were you working at Bird Rock? Also what was your position there?

I like how they say "it was only in the last sentence that you indicated that you lost a hand", as if, if it had been at the beginning of the interview, it would have been okay. In practically every interview I've ever done, they've asked me at the end of the interview whether I have any disabilities that they should be aware of. Generally, it's not something that they start with.

With that said though, it kinda depends on your position there. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that an employer can legally release you due to a disability if that disability ends up seriously impeding your ability to perform.

On reflection a law suit is more suitable.

Do you have experience with lawsuits in Saint Kitts and Nevis? The law prohibits discrimination but it does not specifically cite discrimination against persons with disabilities. Without knowing how the law is applied in Saint Kitts and Nevis, what position the OP was hired for, and what specific tasks the employer determined the OP was unable to perform in that position, how can you determine a lawsuit is a suitable action to take?

Do you have experience with lawsuits in Saint Kitts and Nevis? The law prohibits discrimination but it does not specifically cite discrimination against persons with disabilities. Without knowing how the law is applied in Saint Kitts and Nevis, what position the OP was hired for, and what specific tasks the employer determined the OP was unable to perform in that position, how can you determine a lawsuit is a suitable action to take?

Agreed. Just because the OP works for the "handicap scuba association" doesn't mean he can automatically file a lawsuit...

It still wouldn't hurt for the OP to talk to a lawyer if that was the route he wanted to take. Honestly, if he wants legal action of any sort talking to a lawyer would be the best course of action.

Back
Top Bottom