Any Comments on Oceanic EDX10/D5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver4242

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering the Oceanic EDX10/D5, they are updates of the FDX10/D4.2. I like the diaphragm first stage because I do some quarry/cold water diving in addition to deep/wreck and reef in warm water. Has anyone used this setup, or comments on Oceanic in general?

i sold off the 3 sets of oceanic regs i had. quality just didn't seem that high and parts weren't easier to get either. there are other brands selling gear that is a better value proposition. or if you are going to pay retail at a dive shop, might as well get something name brand and better made like apeks/scubapro. only thing i would recommend are oceanic computers for the liberal algorithm.

Oceanic do make some good stuffs, but regulator probably not one of them

personally I wound recommend are their computers and their Accel fin

Second to Apeks too, or maybe look into the new Deep6 reg?

I wouldn't say Oceanic are junk, since many of the Hollis regs are based on the Oceanics.

The big change of the D5 over the prior versions seems to be that it is now pneumatically balanced instead of 'mechanically' balanced, which was great when it came out because it brought balanced design to a new price point, but price of pneumatically balanced 2nd stage has been creeping lower and lower and they can't sell a mechanically balanced reg for more than others' pneumatic ones.

They work, nothing special. I wouldn't buy as I can't get parts and forgetting self service getting service, certainly here in Japan is difficult as they are not common. I'd imagine a similar issue if needed service while traveling. I have heard good things about their customer service, contrary to my experience with Hollis.

Back
Top Bottom