How do I log it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobaChef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So the other day, doing a wreck dive,I got blown off the anchor line on descent and caught in a ripping current. I lost sight of the boat and ended up swimming 4km back to land then got a friendly jetskier to give me a lift back out to the boat.

Should I still log this as a dive? If so, does it count as a boat dive or shore dive? Should I also note that it was a drift dive vs a wreck dive?

I think it ticks all the above - it could even qualify as a DPV experience :)

Is there a category for an "oh crap" dive as well as the above? Because I think it counts under that as well.

Log that as a crappy dive haha. How was the swim? How long did it take you to reach the shore? Did the boat not realize you were drift diving? lol.

Log that as a crappy dive haha. How was the swim? How long did it take you to reach the shore? Did the boat not realize you were drift diving? lol.

The swim wasn't too bad, once I got a bit inland I caught a different current headed to shore. Took about an hour all up. The boat never had a chance to see me, by the time I got to the surface and deployed my smb, coupled with a high swell, I was pretty much already out of sight. The worst part was doing a shore exit with twins, a stage and a dslr camera rig.

adventure specialty

I'd log it for the lesson alone. You likely won't forget a situation like that, but I've logged at least one 7 minute dive I bailed out on as a reminder to myself that I'd rather make it back to see my family than attempt a dive with my rebreather doing strange things.

I'm with Chris, log it as a training dive.

The software log I have for my computer will let you check as many categories as you wish, so I'd write in all of the above.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom