Anyone been to Ramon's Village Resort - Ambergris Caye

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubagolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I (both divers) are looking for a new dive resort for a trip in April. We have been to Turneffe Island Resort and liked it a lot. Anyone recently been to Ramon's?

Questions on dive op service at Ramon's.

Do we haul our gear to the boat and set up for the first tank every morning?

Will the crew change the gear over during the surface interval?

Do we haul our gear off the boat, rinse, and store for the night? If so, are secure lockers assigned?

Will we be assigned to a boat and a DM for the duration of our stay?

Finally, is there an effort to segregate divers to boats by experience level?

If you've been to Turneffe Island Resort, you will be let down diving from Ramon's... Best diving is out at Turneffe Atoll. Diving from Ramon's is nice but definitely not in the same league as the atoll.

My opinion of Ramon's is so-so... Haven't been there in a while so it might have changed for the better... Or not. Also, sometimes they have trouble getting a boat out past the breakwater in the morning. Depends on the weather and tides.

Breakwater? Do you mean the reef? When the easterlies blow more than about 20, the cut in the reef can be rough. I dive off Amebrgris Caye a few times a year. I do not stay at Ramons because it is too expensive for what it is. They have a pretty good reputation. Do not get any meal plan there since there are probably 50 restaurants within 10 minutes walk. Their pier was totally wiped off the face of the earth during Hurricane Earl in August. I was there that night. It may have been rebuilt since many of the docks have been rebuilt. I also heard they have continued to run dives loading off of the beach. Most if not all shops in San Pedro will rinse and store your gear each night and have it on the boat for you each day. I rarely handle a tank there. Check out Banyan Bay. It is a bit further from the center of town, but it is right next to my favorite dive op, Island Divers. It is a 5$ taxi ride to town from there or a short ride on a golf cart. Banana Beach is also right next to Island Divers.

1. <- I don't want these bullet points but can't get rid of them for some reason. Moving on to my actual post:
I've never recommended Ramon's for the very reason others have said. Too much money for what you actually get. The place does have a cool tropical ambiance but you can stop by for a drink to enjoy that. I'm not sure if they've rebuilt their dock and dive shop yet either. But that should be easy to find out by contacting them.
Banyan Bay is a good recommendation. Also, look at Xanadu. Very cool place with the tropical ambiance, almost a mix of beach and jungle and the units are fabulous. Another place I like in this area is Mata Rocks. I'll second a strong recommendation for Island Divers.

My concern is the comparison of diving at the Atolls (Turneffe) vs Ambergris Caye. Turneffe is definitely superior, however, if willing to accept that in order to be able to enjoy what the town has to offer, it's a good trade. Not so for a strictly dive focused trip.

As for riding out over the reef cut when it's roiling . . .I've always really enjoyed that but it's probably not everyone's favorite.

Oh my gosh, yes!! The Palms! I definitely recommend this place as well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom