Contact Lenses vs Prescription Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear contacts too and I did all the full mask flood and clear, mask removal and replacement, with my eyes closed. It's a little freaky when you remove your mask, replace it, clear it and then open your eyes...for a brief second I didn't even feel I was underwater - hard to explain but everything looked so clear once I opened by eyes. Funny thing is, even with my eyes closed, I lost a contact on the partial mask flood and clear - it stuck to the lens of my mask, so I was able to surface and replace it. As much as no mask freaks me out, it's something I have to practice each time I'm underwater so that I become less freaked out about it, or I'll be a panic diver story that makes it to the accident page.

I have worn extended-wear disposable soft contacts on every dive I've ever done, including OW, and have never had trouble with them during a mask flood/removal/replacement. They stay in place even while swimming, and only sting slightly for a minute or two after exposure to salt water, then they're fine again. I normally close my eyes while removing the mask, but open them again once the gush of water is done, so I can see to put my mask back on. I've never used hard contacts, but from what I've read, soft stay in place better than hard do. For a week in Cozumel, the contacts were never out of my eyes until after the last dive (#17) of the week; flying with them sucks because of the dry air in the plane.

Usually, when I just get a drop of water in my eye with the contact lens in, it tends to make the contact slide all around my eye when I blink, crumpling up and making it feel like I have a hair in my eye. But I've never tried fully opening my eyes underwater with the lenses in. I'll have to try it on my own sometime soon and see how well they stay in.

Thanks for all the input! :)

I've had prescription contact lenses for several years now. Whenever I go swimming with my snorkel mask, I wear the contacts. However, they are soft lenses and don't like getting water in them. Since I'm likely going to take my OW SCUBA certification classes next summer, I'd like to consider getting a prescription mask. I know that part of the course is learning how to take off your mask and replace/clear it underwater. Unfortunately, even with my eyes shut during the process, the little bit of water left on my eyes would mess up my contacts and likely leave me partially or totally "blind" until I can reach the surface and remove or fix the contacts.

I think my plan will be to get a prescription mask to use in the water, and keep a pair of glasses with me for on land. Then also keep an extra pair of contacts and a regular blank mask as backup.

Thoughts? Experience? Advice for a pre-scuba'er?

Thanks for any input! :)
I have worn a prescription lens mask for years, wouldn't do it any other way

Usually, when I just get a drop of water in my eye with the contact lens in, it tends to make the contact slide all around my eye when I blink, crumpling up and making it feel like I have a hair in my eye. But I've never tried fully opening my eyes underwater with the lenses in. I'll have to try it on my own sometime soon and see how well they stay in.

Thanks for all the input! :)

I've nearly lost contacts while wearing them in heavy rain when a drop went directly into my eye, but not while diving. I do keep my eyes partly shut while swimming, so that my eyelids kind of hold the lenses in place, but I can still see just fine.

Here's an interesting question - does having contacts in w/ no mask underwater give you better underwater vision than without contact lenses? :p

I've been using contacts diving for years. One advantage is that you can really choose from any mask that fits you; prescription lenses are not available on all masks. Another advantage is if something happens to your mask on a trip, you can simply use a different one. This might be a little unlikely, but if it does happen, and you're dependent on the prescription mask, you're screwed.

I have lost an occasional contact under water (I use soft lenses) but it's unusual. I have even opened my eyes without the mask on; you can sort of squint and see a little without your lenses floating away. I had to do this many times working on my DM years ago. When you do lose a contact, you can still use your other eye to see your gauges.

Here's an interesting question - does having contacts in w/ no mask underwater give you better underwater vision than without contact lenses? :p

That is an interesting question! I'll see if I can come up with a test for it. I'm pretty much blind as a bat without my contacts (extremely near-sighted)

I have worn a prescription lens mask for years, wouldn't do it any other way

Whether that is appealing or not may depend on the strength of one's prescription. When I bought a prescription mask from that well-respected outfit in San Diego, it came with lenses that were like the proverbial "looking through a Coke bottle." Peripheral vision was awful. It just felt ridiculous compared with wearing contacts. I tried it for one dive and went back to using my contact lenses.

Only one thing to add, that hasn't come up... There is a small risk of infections and other bacteria growth when contacts get wet. This is a warning that all opticians are supposed to tell you and is usually in the small print on the box your contacts come in. It's a real risk to some as there are articles about people who never read the small print.

I wore contacts as a diver for 2 years. You keep your eyes closed when doing mask skills. I've never had a problem and never even lost a lens. But I met many a diver who lost lenses. Lasik was my savior when I became an instructor. Since I have to have my eyes open without my mask in order to demonstrate the skills, I'm happy not to worry about what my contacts are doing.

Back
Top Bottom