Veteran's Day Charity Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt. Pete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Inland Water Divers & Pleasant Charters have joined forces to raise money for the Diving Devil Dogs of Arizona this Veteran's Day Friday November 11, 2016. For a $40 dollar cash donation we will take you on a 2 tank dive on Lake Pleasant.

You must reserve your seat- space is limited

Maricopa County Parks is offering free park admission to veterans & active duty- if you do not fall into either category Inland will issue you a free park pass (must be picked up at the shop)

If you do not have your own cylinders Inland will provide 2 free of charge (must be picked up at the shop)

We have raffle prizes! Details to follow

Help us raise some funds for a worthwhile cause and have some fun diving, it's a win-win! By the way we had great vis @ Tech & 2 Anchors this last weekend.

Capt Pete

What a wonderful dive event you have organized ! I salute you for being such a patriotic American and so caring for our current servicemen and veterans -- something that the current administration in Washington has ignored all too long.

Hopefully your generous gesture of appreciation will spread to other dive boat charter operators with in the US to became a national recreational diving event

Was lake Peasant formerly known as Mormon Flats lake?

I note you are in Goodyear -- I was stationed at Luke AFB at the end of the Korean war. A lot of changes since that time ..Goodyear was a dusty small blip on a map with one paved street and probably a population of 500.

While at Luke I met and established a life long friendship with Kit Horn. We both had been "diving" since the 1940s but Kit had been employed by Rene at US Divers so was a wealth of information. We made several Barada designed gas guns and went spearing -- the irrigation canals, Mormon flats and finally a place called San Carlos...Since we never met any other divers we were as far as we knew the first divers in Arizona--That all occurred a long time ago 60 plus years ago.

I was fortunate that I had during my career 4 dedicated dive columns in various dive magazines. I wrote an article about the "spear gun five " as we called our selves while at Luke and as I recall I also wrote about Bill Barada and his gas gun -- if I can locate them would you like a copy ?

Once again in closing I salute you as a Great Patriotic American !

SAMUEL MILLER
ex Captain USAF

LA CO UW Instructor 11 UICC
NAUI instructor #27
PADI instructor etc etc

Thank you Sam. Lake Pleasant is due north of Luke AFB, Mormon Flat dam is on the Salt River forming Canyon Lake I believe.
I don't believe we are the first to host a charity dive on Veteran's Day, might be nice if it caught on industry wide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom