How to for a Navy Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey Divers,
My name is Landon I am 23 and fairly new to scuba. I have about 7 logged dives but I can already tell I am in love and I have recently been exploring the option of becoming a navy diver. I'm doing lots of research on different websites, but I was hoping a former navy diver could reach out to me and point me in the right direction. I just have a few questions like what do I do to prepare physically and mentally, and how do I go about enlisting in the navy specifically to enter dive school? I don't want to get stuck on a ship or have an ordinary sailors job. I want to be a diver. Thank you anyone who can help

Welcome to ScubaBoard. I'm not in the military; it's been several hours & nobody's answered. Perhaps I can suggest a thing or two of some use anyway? Might be better than nothing, and bump your post back up for others to see.

I've heard enough stories of people wanting to enter the military to do a specific thing, and ending up in something else, to be wary. We're talking the military. Once you're in, it seems like they sort of own you for awhile. How many private sector jobs can order you to charge into enemy fire, or where there may be land mines, etc...?

What happens if you enter the Navy specifically to enter dive school, but that doesn't work out? Somehow I doubt they're going to just let you go... And since you don't want to 'get stuck on a ship' or have an 'ordinary sailor's' job, I imagine that situation could go south real fast.

You're pretty new to scuba. Take some time to diversify your experience and make an informed decision about what it is about diving you like. I've got a hunch Navy Divers might not go on lots of sight-seeing missions just swimming around pretty coral reefs admiring the fish.

While you wait, try using Search and putting in Military and Navy and seeing what you get. Some people report better search results by using Google, putting in their terms and adding 'ScubaBoard,' vs. the forum's Search function, but you can try both.

Richard.

P.S.: I waited through the day to see if a military diver would answer you. Hope some do. I especially hope some comment on how skeptical you ought to be about what recruiters tell you. I'd be wary...

Intense physical like for entering UDT or seals training. As for being stuck on ships it will happen. You are joining the Military not the local dive club. Talk to a Navy recruiter they will tell you what is required. The school is in Panama City Fl. 6 months training. Lots of class room and actual Diving. I went through in 1965 so some things might have changed. You will learn and do everything involved in Diving. Explosives, underwater Welding, Physics and medicine. splitting and mixing gasses. deep dives. Good luck if you decide but be prepared and in excellent physical shape.

I don't want to get stuck on a ship or have an ordinary sailors job.

The Navy might not be the right choice. An enlistment for any school just gets you in the door, and if you don't make the grade its off to fleet for the rest of your tour. Even if you do graduate, dependent on your class standing, you may wind up on a ship doing a regular sailors job and the occasional hull inspection, rather than what you envisioned.

If you don't like the idea of being a sailor, look into the Army, although you might have problem with being a solder, or a better fit might be commercial diving.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
Former ET1(SS) Nuc, just another ordinary sailors job on a ship.

I am currently in the Army at a joint unit, meaning I work with all services, but I have not talked with anyone who has become or was a Navy diver but I can give general advice. First remember when you go to a recruiter that they are a salesmen selling you whatever the Navy currently wants. They will try and say that if you go in as something other then diver you can switch later but don't listen. I just went to the Navy web page and it says you can join straight to being a diver so don't let them talk you out of it, as long as meet the criteria. And the same as when buying a car when they keep pushing you and trying to get you to do something else be ready to walk. Also have you taken the ASVAB? Your score will tell you if you are qualified to even be a diver. As for not wanting to be stuck on a ship, if you don't want to be stuck on a ship then don't join the navy. You most likely will be assigned to fleet at some point in your career. It was under skills on their website you will learn which was boat repair. I assume someone has to be on the boat to check the hull for damage if something happens and repair it.

While the Army does have army divers this is from their webpage.

Some of the skills you’ll learn:
  • Principles of scuba and surface-supplied diving
  • Underwater welding and cutting
  • Use and care of hand and power tools
  • Maintenance of diving equipment
  • ExplosivesA

Required ASVAB Score(s)
Skilled Technical (ST) : 106
OR
General Maintenance (GM) : 98, General Technical (GT) : 107

Again take the ASVAB which will tell you if you can be a diver. When I found it I had already been in too long so I could not switch. Just remember that the Army`s domain is land so just like with navy if you try and join there may not be slots for school and they may push you to another job so be ready to walk. Also since Navy has to be near water you might have better dive locations.

how do I go about enlisting in the navy specifically to enter dive school? I don't want to get stuck on a ship or have an ordinary sailors job. I want to be a diver

Landon, Directly from the NECC website: http://www.public.navy.mil/necc/Pages/ContactDiverRecruiter.aspx "THINKING ABOUT JOINING THE NAVY? CONTACT Your local Naval Special Warfare/Naval Special Operations Coordinator through your local Navy recruiter." I have been out of the community for a few years, but doubt that the recruiting process has changed much in regards to Diver/EOD/SEAL/SWCC contracts (which are now essentially "A" schools). Since these are now specific rates (or were prior to September 2016), you join with a guaranteed contract to attend the schools. Your concerns above become more of a reality if you do not successfully complete the training. Again, the SpecWar Coordinator is your best bet for up to date and accurate information. Physical preparation should include running, swimming, and lot's of PT. As of a few years ago, you had to successfully pass the Dive PRT before they even gave you the contract to enter the Navy. I wish you the best on your Journey.

Landon,

I have similar aspirations. First, you'll need to go to the recruiters office and go to MEPs to see if you're even physically qualified to be a Navy Diver. If everything goes well at MEPs , your recruiter will put you in touch with a Mentor who will be an ex member of the Navy special operations community. From there your mentor will administer PSTs for you and your fellow Navy Spec war hopefuls. This will consist of a 500m swim , 2 min max push ups , 2 min max sit ups, max pull ups , and a 1.5 mile run. The minimum pst scores aren't much for a Navy Diver contract, but don't expect to get a contract unless you can exceed the minimum. As far as physical preparation, the Navy has an official physical preparation guide you should take a look at. Hope this helps.

Both the Army and Coast Guard also have divers. I read an interesting article on Coast Guard Divers...who take their initial training with Navy Divers. Then it said Navy Divers go to Underwater EOD training and Coast Guard Divers go to Salvage School. We had some Army Divers here not to long ago doing various tasks...all three branches will train you the basic Military Style of Diving.

I am currently in the Army at a joint unit, meaning I work with all services, but I have not talked with anyone who has become or was a Navy diver but I can give general advice. First remember when you go to a recruiter that they are a salesmen selling you whatever the Navy currently wants. They will try and say that if you go in as something other then diver you can switch later but don't listen. I just went to the Navy web page and it says you can join straight to being a diver so don't let them talk you out of it, as long as meet the criteria. And the same as when buying a car when they keep pushing you and trying to get you to do something else be ready to walk. Also have you taken the ASVAB? Your score will tell you if you are qualified to even be a diver. As for not wanting to be stuck on a ship, if you don't want to be stuck on a ship then don't join the navy. You most likely will be assigned to fleet at some point in your career. It was under skills on their website you will learn which was boat repair. I assume someone has to be on the boat to check the hull for damage if something happens and repair it.

While the Army does have army divers this is from their webpage.

Some of the skills you’ll learn:
  • Principles of scuba and surface-supplied diving
  • Underwater welding and cutting
  • Use and care of hand and power tools
  • Maintenance of diving equipment
  • ExplosivesA

Required ASVAB Score(s)
Skilled Technical (ST) : 106
OR
General Maintenance (GM) : 98, General Technical (GT) : 107

Thanks Dave for a current update on requirements. It has changed a bunch since i went in. I quit school at 17 years old and enlisted in 1960. Didn't get Dive school for 5 years requirements were then E4 with over 4 years obligated. My GCT-ARI was 43 so I was not the smartest. But the first five years made a man out of a young punk. My entire 20 year carrier was on seagoing ships. with 4 years of shore duty. Shore duty was a lot of TAD jobs. Loved it would go back in but at 73 I now just Dive every chance I get. Oh one last thing, I stayed sea sick my entire 20 years while at sea. Now I never get sick.

Welcome to SB. Great comments above so won't elaborate more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom