Dust cap off first stage while soaking regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It also depends on what regulator you have some Auqalung regs have their auto closure device that seals the opening off when no cylinder is attached so if working correctly no water will get in anyway.

I have the Legend LX. Bought brand new.

This is just another great reminder that "soaking" regs is always a bad idea...

Please ignore this bad advice, unfortunately from a certified technician. Soaking a regulator in fresh water after salt water use is the only way to get salt out of exposed threads, which practically all regulators have, included environmentally sealed regs. Dried salt water is the number one cause of corrosion in regulators. It's very important for the long term health of a regulator to not let salt water dry on them. Soaking in fresh water is the only way to get it all out.

You just have to remember to install the dust cap. It's really not too much to ask. And honestly, a little fresh water in the HP section probably won't cause too much of a problem. It might gunk up the filter.

Back to the OP, you should remove all the hoses and port plugs. When you have access to a scuba tank, start by plugging all the LP ports, leaving the HP ports open. Put the reg on a tank, and turn the air on for a few seconds. Air will come out the HP ports, and probably push a little water out as well. Try a few bursts to see if you can get dry air to come out. Then replace the HP port plugs, take the LP plugs out, repeat the process. A lot more air will come out this time, hopefully dry as well, but probably with some drops of water too. Just keep pushing air through the reg until its all dry air coming out the ports. If you leave the air on for more than a few seconds at a time the reg will get very cold.

The dive shop should have some port plugs and be able to do this. However, there are shops where if you walk in and tell them what happened, they'll just insist on rebuilding the reg. So you might do better to try to borrow a tank and a few port plugs from someone near you if you can find someone.

Edit: I just saw that you have a legend. If it has the "ACD" feature, you probably don't have any water in your first stage. The ACD is designed to keep water out even with the dust cap off.

When I dive in clean fresh water, I only rinse my regs afterwards and may not even do that if the water is clean enough. I only soak after salt water trips.

This. It has been my understanding that the purpose of "soaking" regs is to dissolve any salt deposits that might have hardened on or in the reg. After a fresh water dive, I believe a rinse to remove any contaminants is all that's needed.

Is it possible for some kind of mineral deposits to develop from use in fresh water? I haven't heard of anyone soaking their regs after diving in FL springs, which are the source of bottled mineral water. The tap water you're soaking the regs in probably has minerals, too. I have to believe that spring water (not to mention tap water) doesn't contain enough of anything to be harmful to our regs. Quarry/lake water?

My shop doesn't do that - try and sell services you don't need. (DRIS)

Capture.PNG

I have the Legend LX. Bought brand new.

if it's an ACD equipped Legend - then there's nothing to worry about. it closes off when not attached to a tank - preventing water from getting into the first stage. no need to do anything

Please ignore this bad advice, unfortunately from a certified technician. Soaking a regulator in fresh water after salt water use is the only way to get salt out of exposed threads, which practically all regulators have, included environmentally sealed regs. Dried salt water is the number one cause of corrosion in regulators. It's very important for the long term health of a regulator to not let salt water dry on them. Soaking in fresh water is the only way to get it all out.

You just have to remember to install the dust cap. It's really not too much to ask. And honestly, a little fresh water in the HP section probably won't cause too much of a problem. It might gunk up the filter.

If you rinse your regs after a dive in salt water, it never has a chance to build up. I've been diving over twenty years, and not once have I soaked my regs. Never had an issue with salt water corrosion (regular service as well). Once again, SOAKING the first stage in a bucket is not a good idea, and Yes, I am a certified technician.

If you dive often enough, you can get away with that.

But rinsing does not draw the salt water out from unprotected metal to metal threaded connections like yoke/din retainer, LP hose to 2nd stage, ambient chamber to body on piston regs, and HP hose to SPG. It is not really a problem until the water evaporates over time leaving salt crystal. Might take weeks so if you are diving weekly you could still get away wwith it unless you live in a hot, dry area. Then repeat that every month or so and continued salt build-up will take its toll. Sure, a good chrome finish helps protect from such damage. but bover years of such practice, the chrome is compromised and exposed brass has more problems handling such trearment

Soaking draws out the salt for those of us who do not get to dive weekly.

I am not an authorized tech. But I have restored and dive regulators that are older than most authorized techs. Soaking is the way to go if you expect your regs to last. Dive retailers might prefer if you stick with rinsing, service every year, and buy new every decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
But what about us fresh water only divers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom