Ningaloo advice, April 2017?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tamas970

Contributor
Reaction score
Switzerland - way too far from warm seas:(
# of dives
100 - 199
Are there diving liveboard boats serving the Ningaloo reef? I am planning an extensive dive trip (1week, 20+dives if possible) for next April and looking for options. I favor full packages (diving+accomodation) and livaboards - to make it simple and keep budget reasonable.

How are the diving conditions in WA in April? If shore based, what which town would be ideal for accommodation?

Last edited:
As I currently understand it, there is only one regularly scheduled liveaboard operating in the Ningaloo area: Sail Ningaloo

I can't comment on them, never been out with them. However looking at their prices...It seems expensive, but when you tally up the cost of a few day trips, plus accommodation and food on the mainland, it's not actually that obscene. WA is very expensive to start with due to local economic conditions, so you need to take that into consideration when looking at costs. Diving at Ningaloo is not budget friendly, especially around Easter, which is mid-April next year.

Normally you'd stay at a resort/hotel in Exmouth or Learmouth and do day trips with one of the local dive ops. And try and avoid Australian Easter school holidays - prices will easily double for everything.

Also, WA is big. Very big. The weather conditions at any given time vary astronomically depending on where in the state you are. There is no sensible answer to "how are the diving conditions in WA in April?". If you meant "how are the diving conditions around Ningaloo in April?", the answer is "generally ok, unless there's a huge storm, which nobody can predict this far out".

If in Exmouth, don't miss the Navy Pier.

Navy Pier has been closed to diving for quite a while now. I'm not aware that they've lifted the restrictions.

Thanks for the link! These figures actually don't look THAT bad if one divides them with the 1.45 EURAUD rate and compares it to a "normal" Maldives liveaboard. Still, it's on the expensive side, I'll take a look on Indonesia (Bali/Lombok) as well.

As I currently understand it, there is only one regularly scheduled liveaboard operating in the Ningaloo area: Sail Ningaloo

I can't comment on them, never been out with them. However looking at their prices...It seems expensive, but when you tally up the cost of a few day trips, plus accommodation and food on the mainland, it's not actually that obscene. WA is very expensive to start with due to local economic conditions, so you need to take that into consideration when looking at costs. Diving at Ningaloo is not budget friendly, especially around Easter, which is mid-April next year.

Normally you'd stay at a resort/hotel in Exmouth or Learmouth and do day trips with one of the local dive ops. And try and avoid Australian Easter school holidays - prices will easily double for everything.

Also, WA is big. Very big. The weather conditions at any given time vary astronomically depending on where in the state you are. There is no sensible answer to "how are the diving conditions in WA in April?". If you meant "how are the diving conditions around Ningaloo in April?", the answer is "generally ok, unless there's a huge storm, which nobody can predict this far out".

Thanks for sharing!

Navy Pier has been closed to diving for quite a while now. I'm not aware that they've lifted the restrictions.

What a shame! Thanks for warning!

Diving the Navy Pier is basically dependent on access permission being provided by the military - it's called the Navy Pier for a reason! Periodically they say no. It won't be closed forever.

Just bear in mind that April, as the OP indicated as their travel time, coincides with Australian Easter school holidays. That is pretty much one of the busiest time of year at Ningaloo/Exmouth. Even if the Pier is open for diving again by then, getting one of the strictly limited permits at that time of year would be difficult. Great dive if you can get one though :)

Its been a very long time since I was over west, but most of the charter and over night boats targeted the Abrolhos Islands off of Ningaloo and Geraldton (further south) and those were spectacular. Try this mob for starters as they may help - Pelican Charters. Alternatively try Image Dive Charters

There is also a recent post by someone who did Rowley Shoals (but that's further north near Broome) so maybe check that post out too.

Oh and incidentally April is Whale Shark season so lots and lots of day trips out of Exmouth to go swim with these beauties.

Yes Sail Ningaloo is the only regular liveaboard operator in Ningaloo and yes it can seem expensive but as mentioned if you add up all day trips, accommodation, food etc it doesn't come to much less plus there is the added bonus of having it all organised for you so you can just relax and enjoy your holiday. Definitely worth looking at at least.

Also Navy pier has now reopened and is being run by Dive Ningaloo in Exmouth so check them out for prices etc.. Again can be pretty pricey but it is voted one of the best dive sites in the world so...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom