Neoprene wetsuits and Sun protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with Kevin. Not sure why you asked the question initially but if the plan is to spend all day in neoprene in the tropics, I would seriously consider rash guard guard or skin instead. You will be a lot more comfortable.

Thank you for replying!

John,

Welcome to Scubaboard from another midwesterner!

As others have posted upthread, a wetsuit blocks the sun from reaching the areas it covers. On the other hand, in very general terms, wet suits are not comfortable to wear on the surface. The exception would be where the surface conditions are cold and wet.

I typically wear a one-piece rashguard during surface intervals on warm, sunny days. I'm wearing one in my profile photo. It blocks the sun while allowing some air movement. Usually I also wear a hat, and use sunscreen on the backs of my hands. In cooler weather I'll layer something over my rashguard, or switch to a shirt and pants.

Where does one get a men's one piece rash guard? Google isn't a lot of help.

1. Just press the like button on a post if youwant to thank a poster.

2. Go to a local dive shop and see what they have in stock. Google will help you there.

When we spent a week in Bonaire I was surprised by the burn I got on my legs between my shortie and boots just with incidental exposure between dives. If you can beat the heat and have fair skin keeping covered in the tropics makes sense.

From my observation 1 mm is not as durable as 3mm. A combination of a 3mm and a rushguard as an underlayer works best. Keeps you warm too on a multiple dive day

Back
Top Bottom