Dry suit top three pieces of advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frontpointer1000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys/gals.
This week I'll be working in Wyoming and I've got a few extra days that just fit for a dry suit cert course.

I've been considering this for a few months and because it's cold enough and there are some good lakes near where ill be working, I've set up the course with a LDS. The bonus is that I've met these folks before and really like them, and they seem to do a lot of dry suit diving.

So, although I've been doing my own homework in preparation for this eventual course, I'd like to throw it out to the SB forum: what are the top three pieces of advice/keys to success/"wish I would have known this before" bits you have to offer?

1 Be sure both the undergarment and the drysuit fit. Also, be sure the drysuit fits with the undergarment.
2. Suspenders are not required, yet they are well worth it.
3. Be sure to pay attention to buoyancy. Be proactive with it, not reactive.

Don't be surprised if you have to purchase another set of fins to fit your drysuit boots.

Last edited:
I would suggest that, unlike diving with wetsuits, it is a very bad idea to pee in your exposure protection to warm yourself up. Ha!

Heh, seriously though... my advice doesn't necessarily pertain to the drysuit course so much as it does to the eventual (?) drysuit purchase: look into what the possible repairs might be necessary for whatever type of drysuit you may go for. Know the weaknesses of your potential suit, and what you'd need to do to repair it. Drysuits are great when they work... but when they don't...

Make sure to get a suit that FITS.

My only addition to this comment would be that depending on the type of drysuit, make sure that it fits your intended thermal protection too...

I would suggest that, unlike diving with wetsuits, it is a very bad idea to pee in your exposure protection to warm yourself up. Ha!

Heh, seriously though... my advice doesn't necessarily pertain to the drysuit course so much as it does to the eventual (?) drysuit purchase: look into what the possible repairs might be necessary for whatever type of drysuit you may go for. Know the weaknesses of your potential suit, and what you'd need to do to repair it. Drysuits are great when they work... but when they don't...

My only addition to this comment would be that depending on the type of drysuit, make sure that it fits your intended thermal protection too...
and your extra holiday pounds...

Briefs not boxers.

1. Make sure it fits right and with the undergarments you plan on using
2. Make sure it is the style that fits your type of diving
3. Pee valve

1. Dump gas early
  2. Dump gas often
  3. Install a P-Valve early.
  4. Use said P-valve often.

A few tips

If it's sunny out:

Gear up in the shade
Put hood on just before you need to get in the gear into immediately go diving
Keep a gallon of water around to dump on yourself to keep cool
Use said water after the dove fir a quick rinse (especially the neck)

Keep your undergarments dry (ie, always have a layer over them (jacket, dry suit, etc). That little bit of moisture from rain/snow/fog) really makes for a colder dive later.

Keep spare gloves/socks for dive 2

Always zip up ALL THE WAY

P Valve. Make sure the line isn't kinked/twisted in application

Layers

_R

Best advice I can give you is dont ever get in a hurry or place yourself in a position to need to be in a hurry:
For example:
Plan out buoyancy changes before it becomes a critical emergency maneuver
Dont get in a hurry to get into the suit struggling will make it harder to get into. (Hurrying is how you rip seals)
Dont get in a hurry to get out of the suit. (Hurrying is how you rip seals)

Back
Top Bottom