Body retrieval system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jencks23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Our team is currently looking into purchasing a body retrieval systems for use in recoveries. Any advice?

I think there was a custom built diver recovery barge built for one of the dive parks I believe it was featured in the Alert Diver mag.

I assume you are looking for something more elegant than a lift bag and some rope.

Recovery from where to where? I mean recovery from depth or at the surface? Onto a boat, or to shore?

I am familiar with the MOB systems often used on RHIBs... They aren't inexpensive considering their simplicity...

We have been using the Body Recovery System from Dive Rescue International for the past 15 years. Made recoveries from depths ranging from 10-60 feet without issues. Our team trains with the device on a regular basis, mostly with blacked out masks, and have become proficient with it's use.
Body Recovery System | Underwater Recovery

We have just used mesh body bags in the past. Fortunately, we don't have a lot of very deep water in the county, I think 30' is about it. Never had any issues.

We have been using the Body Recovery System from Dive Rescue International for the past 15 years. Made recoveries from depths ranging from 10-60 feet without issues. Our team trains with the device on a regular basis, mostly with blacked out masks, and have become proficient with it's use.
Body Recovery System | Underwater Recovery

I have used the DRI bag before. One issue with that is that you re-use it every time. If you are conducting and underwater criminal investigation you should not re-use a bag as it could cause an issue with trace evidence analysis.

We always bagged the bodies underwater using a disposable body bag that was modified by installing grommets in them that had plastic screen in them. We would use mosquito netting when installing grommets with a grommet kit and the screen would help prevent loss of trace evidence while allowing water to drain.

I investigated a hit-and-run homicide involving a boat and what helped convict the suspect was a small piece of gel coat found on the body that matched the suspect vessel. It may have been lost or the courts may have not allowed it as evidence if we had re-used a body bag.

I suppose you could bag the victim and then place it inside the DRI system for the lift. I have found that I never needed a lift bag to raise a body and we would just swim them up. Lifting a water filled body bag on the surface is another story. By adding screened grommets it will allow water to escape and it makes it easier to deal with on the surface but it may take some minutes to let the water run out.

Back
Top Bottom