Feed Great White Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The research was examined in a documentary on public broadcasting - and no it's wasn't part of shark week (weak). Don't know how you would find it.
Saw that show. There was nothing scientific about it. No research. Nothing but a wild guess that they presented as a fact. Was quite annoyed when I saw them misrepresenting their opinion as fact. Apparently they fooled some who confused it with results of scientific research.

I am sorry you are irritated by someone asking for the research when someone said there was research done on the subject.
Now you are being disingenuous. By using the words "claim" and "no evidence" your negative position is clear.

Not really. That person posted that there was research... And I have no doubt that there was some done. But when asked for that said research they were unable to provide it. I was simple implying that they had no facts... Not that facts could not exist.

I would also like to see what kind of study this was. How would you know that an increase in the number of attacks is related shark dives? There are lots of factors that could play into this.

Im against shark feeding, I'm for shark diving and shark tourism though. What they're doing in SA I'm in favor of... you don't need to feed the sharks there, the boats go out to their hunting grounds. They are around anyway and there is tons of food for them... we even saw a Great White kill and eat a seal 20 yards from our boat.

One more thing I like to add is that people should not believe (or at least should be very sceptical) when it comes to the BS many documentaries claim.

Anyone on here ever dove and fed great whites in South Africa? A friend of mine told me about it and I want to look into it. Does it require any special certificate? Anyone have any recommendations/advice?

Not sure I understand, If you mean planned open water scuba dives where you feed Great Whites, then No I have never seen it here.

However diving in a cage with great whites is very common. Perhaps its just a misunderstanding of terminology.

As for regular great white shark dives in a cage, no problem, there are lots of operators and no special certification needed, in fact for most you dont need any certification at all, as you just snorkel.

Here's just one operator, there are lots though, just google around.

Great White Shark Cage Diving in South Africa

Wow, that's called hardcore cage diving! Luckily apparently no one got hurt (neither the shark nor the diver).

REALLY, you did not see the shark bleeding :facepalm:

I thought the reason for more shark attacks was more seals since their population rebounded and so the predator that hunts them rebounds as well. A quick Google also blames global warming, more time for beaches with increased human population, and the seals were for Africa. I thought I remember something about Florida as well but all stories are about global warming since that is the new buzz word. Final note shark attacks have not doubled they have actually gone down, 2015 was a record setting high year. 2014 had 72 and 2015 had 98. If someone could get the number on attacks for 2016 it could help, all I could find are stories saying we are on pace for less then last year (2015).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom