Florida Keys Diving Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to live in Key West and you have gotten plenty of answers to the dive ops. Since you are traveling with your family, I strongly suggest visiting the Turtle Hospital in Marathon. It is the best rehabilitation center for injured turtles. You can take a tour and visit with the turtles. Call ahead for reservations.

After you visit with the turtles, cross the Seven Mile Bridge and enjoy the fabulous view. In Big Pine there are the small key deer to be seen. Stop for pizza at the No Name Pub.

If you make it as far as Key West, there is plenty to do and see. Fort Zack beach is a great place for the family. Wear your water shoes because the bottom is rocky.

What do you know, We are going the exact same days. Driving from Pittsburgh and taking the dog. Looking forward to a great adventure.
We will be diving with Conch Republic and got a little mobile home in KLargo.

Thanks for the logistics pointer! I would have been on the "1"

If you are looking for a smaller boat, a 6pak, one of the few choices in Key West is Finz. You might say, well he works there so of course hes going to promote his shop over the others. The truth is most dive ops down here are going to be what you call a "cattle boat" but that is not to say they are not great dive ops. One I would highly recommend is Captain's Corner. The owner is amazing and the crew is first rate. If you want to get in touch with Finz, contact info is in my signature. Hope you are able to do some diving while you are in the keys and that you enjoy yourselves.

I use Quiesesnce when I dive in Key Largo. They run six person boats. They also dive spots that no one else dives. My wife and I reserved spots for a week. One morning, we were the only 2 divers and they happily took us out.

I think Key Largo has the best corals in the keys. I suspect this is the result of the large mangrove swamps surrounding the key. They probably suck quite a bit of the nitrates and phosphates coming from septic tanks on Largo.

DMoverboard-
I spoke with Jessica today and we are hoping I can round up 2 or 4 other divers to book a dive day for Wednesday March 2nd. we happen to be divers, but on a cruise ship, and happen to be trying to arrange diving at each stop directly with dive ops. any chance you have any regular customers in Key wets that would also be interested in splitting cost for the small boat?
maybe Jessica already mentioned it to you. but it would be for Wednesday March 1st, between 10am and 6pm (dock times).
have our own gear have done shore diving in Bonaire, Curacao. we are not typical "cruisers". I had to talk my husband into doing this trip as it wasn't a "dive trip". just trying to add some in for us :)

it is probably totally random, but I'm thinking I'll throw a post up here to fish for another couple divers on March 1st. please reach out if you get a bite on this. thanks------------------------------

-
DMoverboard-
I spoke with Jessica today and we are hoping I can round up 2 or 4 other divers to book a dive day for Wednesday March 2nd. we happen to be divers, but on a cruise ship, and happen to be trying to arrange diving at each stop directly with dive ops. any chance you have any regular customers in Key wets that would also be interested in splitting cost for the small boat?
maybe Jessica already mentioned it to you. but it would be for Wednesday March 1st, between 10am and 6pm (dock times).
have our own gear have done shore diving in Bonaire, Curacao. we are not typical "cruisers". I had to talk my husband into doing this trip as it wasn't a "dive trip". just trying to add some in for us :)

it is probably totally random, but I'm thinking I'll throw a post up here to fish for another couple divers on March 1st. please reach out if you get a bite on this. thanks------------------------------
I meant Thursday, march 2nd. Sorry, my 1 year old is climbing all over me. kids are staying home from trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom