Are wireless transmitters junk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have had a higher rate of failure with these small " pony " pressure gauges than SPG's or transmitters. FWIW, we do not recommend using them. We have had a very low rate of failure of both metal housed SPG's & transmitters. We have had a higher rate of failure of plastic housed SPG's than metal housed SPG's.

Are we talking about catastrophic failures in the sense of losing air rapidly or just a broken dial and still able to finish the dive?

For me the "pony" pressure gauge is just a gimmick and I could do without it.

Are we talking about catastrophic failures in the sense of losing air rapidly or just a broken dial and still able to finish the dive?

For me the "pony" pressure gauge is just a gimmick and I could do without it.

I have one on my deco bottle reg as my only SPG and one on my single tank reg set along with my AI transmitter.

I use the ones from DGX that are maybe just a little bigger than some and seem to be good quality. And only $13.

Mini-SPG, { 1 in | 2.5 cm } Face | Dive Gear Express®

I think they are great for the right use cases. I definitely like one of these on my deco bottle way better than the brass-n-glass gauge on a 6" hose that I used to have on it.

I think they are great for the right use cases. I definitely like one of these on my deco bottle way better than the brass-n-glass gauge on a 6" hose that I used to have on it.
I also like the button guage on my deco bottle. Unless it let all the gas out, I plan deco enough that loss of gauge functionality should be a non issue for a single dive. Interesting to know they fail more. I'll have to add a spare to my SAD kit. The one I got came with my Diverite o2 regulator. It's a brass (chrome plated) but has a poly face, instead of glass.

I also like the button guage on my deco bottle. Unless it let all the gas out, I plan deco enough that loss of gauge functionality should be a non issue for a single dive. Interesting to know they fail more. I'll have to add a spare to my SAD kit. The one I got came with my Diverite o2 regulator. It's a brass (chrome plated) but has a poly face, instead of glass.

Having a spare seems like a good idea, regardless. But, I'm skeptical that good quality ones are any more failure-prone than regular SPGs. I have a feeling that it's more a case of people who buy the minis are more likely to buy cheap ones and cheap ones fail more often whether you're talking about minis or full-sized.

Having a spare seems like a good idea, regardless. But, I'm skeptical that good quality ones are any more failure-prone than regular SPGs. I have a feeling that it's more a case of people who buy the minis are more likely to buy cheap ones and cheap ones fail more often whether you're talking about minis or full-sized.
Well he did lead us to believe he was talking about button gauges with plastic housings. Given that the metal ones are $13-$25, I don't see any reason to go cheaper and get plastic.

Also, I'm pretty cautious with my deco bottle in the first place. High pressure oxygen just makes me a little nervous, I guess. I don't think my gauge has any scratches on it, and I store that regulator on the tank most of the time.

Perhaps they are prone to break because they are solidly attached to the first stage and if the first stage/valve hits a hard surface with the button gauge, the button gauge is damaged. The regular hose gauge isn't subject to this type of damage by the virtue of its design not because the button gauge is less strong.

Perhaps they are prone to break because they are solidly attached to the first stage and if the first stage/valve hits a hard surface with the button gauge, the button gauge is damaged. The regular hose gauge isn't subject to this type of damage by the virtue of its design not because the button gauge is less strong.
We had a problem with them flooding. When we have more of an item returned than we sell ( or as many ), it is an easy decision to discontinue using it.

IMHO they are another piece of technology that could fail, what is your backup. Your going to thumb the dive of course, or I would hope, but for me a standard SPG is the more reliable way to go. As well, working on a boat, I have seen transmitters get broken, tank gets hit or tips, and that nice expensive piece sticking out from the 1st stage goes bang boom.

I got my OCi with AI for three years now. Got a three inch miflex HP connecting my AI to the first stage and the reception never had any issues and the AI is still good to go (Knock on wood).

I see AI as more of a toy and cool factor. But it is also a viable back-up to my brass SPG.

The ATR warning can be annoying sometime when I am about at 50 bar during the safety stop and it chimes to warn you about low on air. But then again, I guess that is what they are designed to do. So be it.

I do find the air remaining in the tank reading a bit more conservative than my SPG. AI will always be 5-10 bars less than what is shown on my SPG. Nothing wrong with being conservative.

I do recommend having AI for diving though.

I dive with an AI Sherwood Wisdom console. Great computer and it's never failed me with several hundred dives on it. I even carry an extra one as a spare on trips. I've loaned it out on four different trips where the other person had a wireless transmitter that failed them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom