Brand New Tank With Brown Stain Inside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I purchased a new Luxfer Al40 and when I went to take it in for a viz they told me it had a brown ring stained around the bottom of the interior. The shop I bought it from said the tank was fine and that the O2 Inhibitor solvent can leave such stains. But my LDS said they have never seen anything like it before and are hesitant to fill the tank with high O2 concentrations as I am using it as a deco bottle.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

Al tank didn't need an oxygen inhibitor to prevent rust it was mine is Tumble and clean it until all that crap was out then use it.

I purchased a new Luxfer Al40 and when I went to take it in for a viz they told me it had a brown ring stained around the bottom of the interior. The shop I bought it from said the tank was fine and that the O2 Inhibitor solvent can leave such stains. But my LDS said they have never seen anything like it before and are hesitant to fill the tank with high O2 concentrations as I am using it as a deco bottle.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks
Great place to find answers is right here. I don't know the answer but you can also call Luxfer. That's what I would do.

I ran into this 30 years ago when I bought a new AL80 and a dive shop wouldn't vip and fill it. Another shop looked and said it was just how they came, gave it the vip and I still have air in it today.

I ran into this 30 years ago when I bought a new AL80 and a dive shop wouldn't vip and fill it. Another shop looked and said it was just how they came, gave it the vip and I still have air in it today.

My LDS contacted Professional Scuba Inspectors and they said it was impossible to tell what the stain was but it was fine to put the cylinder into service.

How does no one in the scuba industry not know what a blatant brown stain is at the bottom of the tank? Especially when everyone is anal about inspections and tank safety? They seemingly just assume it's okay without even knowing what it is or where it comes from? I will have to call Luxfer later today.

Last edited:
My LDS contacted Professional Scuba Inspectors and they said it was impossible to tell what the stain was but it was fine to put the cylinder into service.

Good approach! If you could post any pictures of the stain, I'd love to see it. I would also call Luxfer to report situation. I doubt that anyone with cylinder inspection training put rust inhibitor in an aluminum cylinder. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom