Are wireless transmitters junk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnson Outdoors owns a number of outdoors and recreational sports companies. One that comes to mind is Ocean Kayak. Both good and bad come from being a part of a larger company. Creativity can be stifled but deeper pockets allow weathering of bad times. My point is that it is not always a bad thing and many if not most companies are part of some larger organization nowadays. And manufacturing junk in China and slapping a sticker on it does not count even as being a manufacturer of anything. I suspect that the problem with the transmitters, like so many devices, excellent design, execution however fails as the parts specified are substituted in the manufacturing process in China with lower specification parts, like the hover boards, the Samsung phones, the dog food, the tainted flooring etc. N

My UWATEC Smart-Z has been flawless. Sure I still have a SPG as a backup but it is still a simplification just to look at your wrist and get all the data you need. I guess i've changed the batteries on the transmitter once or twice but that has been an easy. So...I'd say some wireless transmitter are fine, and some may be junk.

My Oceanic is still working fine after almost 2 years and over 100 dives. I haven't even had to change the battery yet on the transmitter.

It's anecdotal but still interesting to me that this thread has posts of ScubaPro failures and Suunto failures, but all the posts about Aeris/Oceanic/Hollis are positive.

My Oceanic is still working fine after almost 2 years and over 100 dives. I haven't even had to change the battery yet on the transmitter.

It's anecdotal but still interesting to me that this thread has posts of ScubaPro failures and Suunto failures, but all the posts about Aeris/Oceanic/Hollis are positive.

There are posts in other forums about Hollis failures.

AJ:
Maybe it's time for a poll?

SB Polls are statistically useless. Would be nice to get real data from manufacturers and estimate reliability that way. I can dream too...

Just joking :wink: Even statistically meaning outcome will be useless because no one wants to know his/her AI is unreliable :coffee:

Suunto EON Steel never failed.

I have a small SPG on my first stage as back up. :)
When I connect my gear I always check if the spg and computer show the same data.

412.jpg

Suunto EON Steel never failed.

I have a small SPG on my first stage as back up. :)
When I connect my gear I always check if the spg and computer show the same data.

412.jpg
We have had a higher rate of failure with these small " pony " pressure gauges than SPG's or transmitters. FWIW, we do not recommend using them. We have had a very low rate of failure of both metal housed SPG's & transmitters. We have had a higher rate of failure of plastic housed SPG's than metal housed SPG's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom