What jewelry do you wear while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DH and I bought "fake" wedding bands made of titanium to wear while diving. I have had some issues with my wedding band and engagement ring over the past couple of years and I've lost a diamond and gotten prongs fixed multiple times - so nothing precious underwater. Not just about losing it, but sea water degrades metal over time, especially soft precious metals. We tried diving without anything and we both felt naked and weird so we got these cheap bands. When we take dive trips, that's all we ever pack, and we leave our real rings at home. No other jewelry from me, unless you count my lovely dive computer.

We had one couple that we did a day of diving with that were just shocked we wore anything because, and I quote, "The barracudas are going to be all over you!!" The fake bands we wear aren't overly shiny - no more so than the d-rings on our BCDs. We saw barracudas on multiple dives and they couldn't have cared less about seeing us. I guess it's a possibility...but the fake bands have a blackish tint, so not much "glinting" that would attract them. :)

If we boat dive, we take off the fake rings, too. Just don't want them caught on ladders and whatnot.

I try not to wear any jewelry when diving due to barracudas. I was diving with my buddy when one snapped his face mask off due to the glare from the mask itself.

Not to mention I am afraid of loosing something while I dive.

My husband lost his wedding ring swimming in the ocean on our honeymoon. He had his replacement wedding ring snag on farm equipment & nearly rip off his finger. I have felt my own rings loosen while swimming in a pool & have had earrings get lost simply wearing a winter hood. Neither of us wear any jewelry while diving or swimming, anymore; it stays in the room safe. It seems much too likely that jewelry will just be lost/snagged/damaged donning hoodies, gloves, prepping equipment, etc. saying nothing about the marine life. I only bring cheap rings/earrings while traveling, for the "non-diving" hours that I can lose without tears. Besides, many of the locales we dive have poor populations; why flaunt to those who have much less than us, or tempt thieves unneccessarily? :cool:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom