92' 80AL tank too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jherny

Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys,

is an 80AL tank built in 1992 too old? its up to date with Hydro and VIP. both done on last NOV.

have a friend with a spare one in really nice shape, all black and paint looks great, with a boot. selling it to me for $75...

what do you guys think?

It's not old enough to have the problematic older alloy.

I would not be worried about it. 88 was the last year of the problem alloy in Luxfer tanks, Catalina's were always ok. I have never ran across a Walter Kidde, Norris, Impact, or Kaiser tank before.

PSI-PCI - A short Review of 6351 Alloy Aluminum Cylinders

BUUUUUUUUUT.....The only thing that might worry me is I have run into a "20 year rule" at Athens dive park. (Texas) The rule states that they will not fill tanks over 20 years old....period. When we went, I just took 4 of our newer tanks so it would not be an issue. I'm really not sure the kid filling tanks would have enforced the rule....but he could have. (Great fills by the way) The rule is at the bottom in fine print.

http://www.athensscubapark.com/dive-shop.html

I have read about a 20 year rule on this site before, but this is the only place I have ran into it in person. As long as your dive shop doesn't care, and you check anyplace you might need a fill before you throw the tank in the truck, I would buy it.

Good luck,
Jay

Joes, you're fine. If it's 20 years old and you're uncertain how it has been maintained, I'd recommend having the valve serviced by a knowledgeable tech at the LDS, including the replacement of the PRD, and scrapping the boot if you plan to do any salt water diving. Only issues I see with older painted tanks coming through our Shop is corrosion caused by owners that don't flush the boots thoroughly after using in salt water. Enjoy them by diving them!

I would not be worried about it. 88 was the last year of the problem alloy in Luxfer tanks, Catalina's were always ok. I have never ran across a Walter Kidde, Norris, Impact, or Kaiser tank before.

For S80 AL80 tanks, 1987 was the last year Luxfer made 6351 AL80 tanks. So 1988 is safe for AL80 tanks.

Last edited:
The price isn't bad either for a tank with 4 years of hydro left.

PSI-PCI - A short Review of 6351 Alloy Aluminum Cylinders

BUUUUUUUUUT.....The only thing that might worry me is I have run into a "20 year rule" at Athens dive park. (Texas) The rule states that they will not fill tanks over 20 years old....period. When we went, I just took 4 of our newer tanks so it would not be an issue. I'm really not sure the kid filling tanks would have enforced the rule....but he could have. (Great fills by the way) The rule is at the bottom in fine print.

Dive Shop

I have read about a 20 year rule on this site before, but this is the only place I have ran into it in person. As long as your dive shop doesn't care, and you check anyplace you might need a fill before you throw the tank in the truck, I would buy it.
Good luck,
Jay

There are more rules than that when you go to Athens. If you have a nitrox sticker on it , forget it, and your sticker may get scraped I in the process. I always take full tanks when I go to avoid fill problems. When the boy fills the tank I have had few problems. they do not do nitrox or provide OCA for nitrox tanks being filled with air.
aND QUITE OFTEN MY LP STEEL TANKS GET FILLED TO 3K. They are used to al80's. I have asked what kind of air they have and they say scuba, requiestioned grade e or e hyperfiltered and I get scuba air whats the difference. vips red sticker for air and all is good but a green for nitrox and the sticker is history.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom