Are wireless transmitters junk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a vtyec, only really had issues when a boat gave me a series of mostly empty tanks (someone forgot to fill them) and the sensor freaked out. It could be bit of pain to get synced at the start, but later ones work better without the whole random channel bit.

I don't use it these days, but it still works. DIR type divers sometimes use one to record gas consumption during the dive for analysis later, but normally not as their active computer and usually using a short HP hose to keep it out of the way and keep some idiot from trying to lift their rig with it.

We have been tracking transmitter failures relative to pressure gauge failures. Just had another pressure gauge failure yesterday. The gauge read 600 psi while totally empty. Last week we had one transmitter that was reading pressure intermittently. We had two high pressure hoses that were leaking.

In our unscientific study, it seems to be about even over the last two years. Anything man-make can fail.

Do divers that use a pressure gauge carry a back-up?

I've had my Aeris T3 for 10 years or so, no problems.

I've had my Oceanic VT3 (essentially same as the Aeris Elite T3, manufactured by Pelagic Pressure Systems) for a little more than 6 years and 800 dives, absolutely flawless. I have both a backup Geo2 computer and an SPG, have never needed either one

Sorry some of you have had a bad experience with your hoseless AI

We have been tracking transmitter failures relative to pressure gauge failures. Just had another pressure gauge failure yesterday. The gauge read 600 psi while totally empty. Last week we had one transmitter that was reading pressure intermittently. We had two high pressure hoses that were leaking.

In our unscientific study, it seems to be about even over the last two years. Anything man-make can fail.

Do divers that use a pressure gauge carry a back-up?
There is no substitute for real data. You should publish it somewhere after a few more years.

Hm, my experience with transmitters has been quite good. I started with the Aladin Nitrox then moved onto the Aladin Z, Smart Tec, and now use the Luna. None of the transmitters failed except one, which I broke by accident. I do use an SPG when diving tech or PSD. No issues with my SPGs except one which utterly failed. The one nice thing about an SPG is no battery. I still like the transmitter for recreational diving.

Years ago, when diving in the Bahamas, the dive operator would not allow the use of an SPG because it was considered unreliable. Everyone had to use a J-valve.

Basically, any piece of equipment has the potential to fail.

I have used my Suunto Vyper Air for more than 500 dives. For the most part it works great. Rarely (~5% of the time) I got connection problems and need to reset the connection between Vyper Air and the transmitter, but I also carry an SPG and a Zoop as a back up to Vyper Air and the transmitter.

Just like everything else in the technology, earlier versions of wireless transmitters might have issues. The technology is getting better. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the latest generation of dive computers with air integration.

No issues with my oceanic transmitter. Now I dive with a Perdix and a SPG. The Oceanic has become backup.

I used to use WAI a few years ago, had a lot of dropouts, gave it up for SPG only, which works fine, no issues with the "extra hose". I did like having the gas usage data automatically uploaded to my log, but now I just occasionally enter tank pressures at the start and end of the dive, and MacDive calculates a SAC rate for me. Don't need to do that very often.

Every time this comes up, it seems that the WAI advocates point out that technology has improved a lot and that it's just as good as and analog SPG now, but I really don't believe it (see posts upthread). It seems like an unnecessary reliance on technology.

The thing is that almost everyone just posts their experience, which is scientifically meaningless. As I usually point out, if you have 1000 WAI computers out there with an abysmal 20% failure rate, you will have 800 people posting about how their transmitters have never failed.

I think it depends on the manufacturer. My Aeris A300 CS (now the Oceanic VTX) works flawlessly, except when the battery needed to be replaced. Since then, it is back to flawless operation.

I still connect it to one of my posts when I dive doubles. While I do have an SPG, it is nice to look at my wrist and see the remaining gas in my back cylinders. I still have 2 Perdixes for the deco schedule. I sure wish Shearwater would add AI to the Perdix.

My experience was not good either. Suunto D9Tx - worked for a couple of months no problem, then started to randomly loose the channel. Fortunately always when kitting up and checking, never during a dive after it had acquired a connection.

I had the battery changed by a dealer, and then it simply would not connect at all - the only suggestion I got was to send both parts back to the manufacturer. I just ditched the wireless transmitter. The dive computer still works fine, but I don't dive it anymore - it has fallen prey to an Atomic Cobalt II that I absolutely love, and a Shearwater Petrel for backup so I have a D9Tx surplus to my normal requirements - I lend it out to students/buddies who don't have their own DC yet so it is still giving good service.

I would not go back to wireless unless the playing field changed significantly. I think everyone I know who has had one has had theirs fail within a couple of years so just not robust enough for my liking. - P

Back
Top Bottom