Lubricating threads on high-pressure seats in tank valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there any reason not to lubricate the threads on the high pressure seat during valve maintenance, using Tribolube or some other suitable product?

I believe the threads are supposed to be coated with teflon or a similar substance, but not all of them are. I also encounter older valves where the handwheels are a little stiff to turn, but there's nothing else wrong with the HP seat.

I see no reason not to lubricate. I use a small amount of Christo-Lube MCG 111 on the threads of HP seats before installing in the valve body. While some seats appear to have some type of coating, others don't. As long as the amount is small and it is compatible with tanks in nitrox service, it shouldn't cause any harm to the components or the diver.

I do. If you allow the threads to get tight then you have to crank on the handle to turn on and off. This results in excessive wear on the seat and can scew up the handles if they don't have metal inserts. I try to lube asap when notice the valve is getting tight, zero cost and takes 2min and change the valve stem oring while it is opened up.

The green kind that are in Sherwood and Thermos are teflon coated. They shouldn't need lube. With that said, I do anyway. I use a dab of Christolube on the threads.

In theory the Teflon coated ones don't need lube. In practice they work better lubed. Don't get any on the actual seat or the seat crown

I do too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom