Stop steering new divers in North America towards DIN regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe the story you're thinking of was mine. Before I had the good sense to convert my originally-DIN regs to yoke, I had the experience of renting a tank at an Atlanta dive shop to use at a lake, and finding the threaded opening to have been deformed to the point where I was unable to screw my DIN reg into it without exerting what I felt would be too much force. The threads themselves looked okay, so my guess was that the fitting had gotten banged against something, deforming it ever so slightly. In fact, I believe my wife and I had rented four tanks between the two of us, and another one of the four was apparently also slightly deformed, such that the reg did not screw in smoothly. I was fearful that forcing my reg into a non-circular opening might damage the threads of my reg. I can see why shops might believe DIN is not a good option for their rental tanks. For the record, all of this shop's tanks nowadays have converter plugs, though if you rent a tank for use with DIN, the shop employee removes the plug before you leave the shop and keeps it. I have not tried to remove any, and I don't care whether they are or are not rusted in place, since my regs are now blissfully yoke.

Before I had my own regs, I used to use rental yoke regs, and that one time I wanted to go diving and one of the yoke tanks had something wrong with the valve. I think it was the o-ring, so I tried to change it with a spare one that I had, but it was a different size and so didn't fit. I had to skip that dive.

Obviously my anecdote trumps yours, so there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom